Announce: whisper updated

Robert Withers

Folks, I have updated whisper or SecureSession to provide Java/Squeak/Pharo interoperability. I am no longer able to access the Cryptography repo so I cannot push code, but the squeak/pharo code is in the squeak-pharo directory in the whisper github project. Here is the GitPages link: https://robertwithers.github.io/whisper, with all other links.

whisper is osi Layer 5 SecureSession with modern crypto: Java/Squeak/Pharo interoperability.

  • flips normative osi layer 5 and 6 on its head: now, 5 is crypto and 6 is session state resumption
  • 3-way DH-2048/RSA-2048/RSAPublicKey ASN1DER encoding
  • 256-bit AES/CBC/PKCS7Padding, 128-bit IV, 160-bit SHA1 E&M
  • PBEEncryptorAES-256 with PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1

Rob

Re: Announce: whisper updated

Robert Withers

Though the whisper code is currently language inter-inoperable, the latest code is being hosted on gitlab with International Rabbits, as voix-basse-mourde. Here is the code: https://gitlab.com/des-lapins-internationale.

If you would like to help, Java could be brought forwards adding PBEReader/PBEWriter, dataEncoding negotiation, SecureSessionSpecification with filtered cryptoProtocolNames, dataEncoderNames, scopeMaker and the traceDomains to parameterize the server behavior. On the Smalltalk side, Whisper_json, Whisper_magma and Whisper_fuel could be implemented. Matching JSON on the Java side. FEC Reed-Solomon could be tested and repaired (it's broken).

kerkkutatti is the Java code for remote promises and has the Smalltalk porcini code too. With Whisper's new SecureServerSpecification, the injection of a scopeMaker and encoder is all the config after push into the stack. Lots of work there on both sides, to get them talking.

If you want to help, have a beer and I'll match you, let me know what you want to work on and I can add you as a gitlab rabbit.

Best,
Rob

On 10/16/2016 7:22 PM, Robert Withers wrote:

Folks, I have updated whisper or SecureSession to provide Java/Squeak/Pharo interoperability. I am no longer able to access the Cryptography repo so I cannot push code, but the squeak/pharo code is in the squeak-pharo directory in the whisper github project. Here is the GitPages link: https://robertwithers.github.io/whisper, with all other links.

whisper is osi Layer 5 SecureSession with modern crypto: Java/Squeak/Pharo interoperability.

  • flips normative osi layer 5 and 6 on its head: now, 5 is crypto and 6 is session state resumption
  • 3-way DH-2048/RSA-2048/RSAPublicKey ASN1DER encoding
  • 256-bit AES/CBC/PKCS7Padding, 128-bit IV, 160-bit SHA1 E&M
  • PBEEncryptorAES-256 with PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1

Rob

Re: Announce: whisper updated

Robert Withers

The code is broken, so I jumped the gun again! Its more than I thought with PBE iv problems. I rolled the code out of the Cryptography repo until I can get it straight. The vm issue can use this package to reproduce: http://jmp.sh/GWcI9rB.

Sorry about that,

Rob