AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

by accident I stumbled upon the following code in AnnouncementSubscription:

 makeWeak
   action isBlock ifTrue: [ self error: 'Not currently available due to missing ephemerons support'].

My understanding is that we have Ephemeron support in Pharo now working. Right?

Anyone with more insights who knows how to fix/complete this? Should we at least open an issue?

Thx
T.

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Torsten Bergmann
I only checked EphemeronTests and in my image they were all green. Now I've noticed that they are green
because they are skipped and using Google I found

  http://forum.world.st/ANN-Ephemeron-Support-is-Ready-td4899584.html

When I run

  Smalltalk supportsQueueingFinalization: true.

and run EphemeronTests again my VM just crashed.

This raises the question about the current status of Ephemerons?

Thanks
T.

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 07. November 2017 um 21:00 Uhr
> Von: "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Pharo-dev] AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons
>
> Hi,
>
> by accident I stumbled upon the following code in AnnouncementSubscription:
>
>  makeWeak
>    action isBlock ifTrue: [ self error: 'Not currently available due to missing ephemerons support'].
>
> My understanding is that we have Ephemeron support in Pharo now working. Right?
>
> Anyone with more insights who knows how to fix/complete this? Should we at least open an issue?
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
> This raises the question about the current status of Ephemerons?

Bump. What is the status of Ephemerons in Pharo 6.1 and 7?

There was an announcement with several asterisks about full support [1] and
there are these related issues that were closed with "stale (timeout)":
- "Make usage of Ephemerons instead of WeakRegistry"
https://pharo.manuscript.com/f/cases/19152
- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/10787/Make-Announcements-Weak-By-Default

1. http://forum.world.st/ANN-Ephemeron-Support-is-Ready-td4899584.html

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Torsten

Thanks for this question.

Ephemerons do not work in Pharo sadly and we know it. We cannot then
take advantage of them.
What you see is in fact a degradation of the situation around the VM. :(
We are concerned about this but the path for our future in this domain
is unclear.

What is clear is that we will reduce the number of Plugin (as pablo
did for freetype) and use FFI.
But FFI callbacks are not really good. And we need a threaded VM. Now
nothing happens on this front.

Let us face it there is a bad energy around. After years of discussion
our engineers
are still struggling and slowed down because of the dispersion of plugin code.
In addition, from what I understood there is no development branch :)
amazing is not it in 2020!

On another scale, since 1 year, I was focusing on making that our
institute offers a permanent position to Clement but I failed
because the forces against where too strong (politics) and clement
should reapply next year.
Now to improve his CV, clement is doing a postdoc at VUB and will
start working on Truffle (the VM of Oracle)
and continue to work part time on Sista.
This is not that bad,  like that he will gain experience on other
systems and in the future
we will be in the position to see if there are real alternatives for
us. May be writing a new VM
on top of other existing infrastructure is the way to go. We will see
in the future.

To be fully transparent

- we will have one phd working on IoT and how to reduce/clean the image and
VM size and many other points she will probably work on a fork because
I cannot suicide a
student (by asking her to understand the messy plugin architecture)
and she will need some space to experiment.
Now if improvements she will perform take ages to be integrated in the
main VM I will ask
her not to do it and to focus on her future and science.
I imagine that everybody paying attention to people can understand this.

Stef

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> by accident I stumbled upon the following code in AnnouncementSubscription:
>
>  makeWeak
>    action isBlock ifTrue: [ self error: 'Not currently available due to missing ephemerons support'].
>
> My understanding is that we have Ephemeron support in Pharo now working. Right?
>
> Anyone with more insights who knows how to fix/complete this? Should we at least open an issue?
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Nicolas Cellier

Hi Torsten

Thanks for this question.

Ephemerons do not work in Pharo sadly and we know it. We cannot then
take advantage of them.
What you see is in fact a degradation of the situation around the VM. :(
We are concerned about this but the path for our future in this domain
is unclear.

Hi Stephane,
the future is in your hand.
Put milestones on opensmalltalk-vm, open new entries on opensmalltalk-vm issue tracker, put engineering force to solve pharo-specific build failures.
In one word, help us to help you.

So could you please explain what did you do exactly to help ephemerons being implemented in spur, and what are the forces couter-acting your efforts?

What is clear is that we will reduce the number of Plugin (as pablo
did for freetype) and use FFI.
But FFI callbacks are not really good. And we need a threaded VM. Now
nothing happens on this front.

Yes, we all want that!
It's just that it does not happen by magic nor handwaving.

Let us face it there is a bad energy around. After years of discussion
our engineers
are still struggling and slowed down because of the dispersion of plugin code.
In addition, from what I understood there is no development branch :)
amazing is not it in 2020!

How sarcasms are going to  federate and encourage people to make progress?
What can you obtain with this sort of sentence but further splitting the community?
Is it your goal?

On another scale, since 1 year, I was focusing on making that our
institute offers a permanent position to Clement but I failed
because the forces against where too strong (politics) and clement
should reapply next year.
Now to improve his CV, clement is doing a postdoc at VUB and will
start working on Truffle (the VM of Oracle)
and continue to work part time on Sista.
This is not that bad,  like that he will gain experience on other
systems and in the future
we will be in the position to see if there are real alternatives for
us. May be writing a new VM
on top of other existing infrastructure is the way to go. We will see
in the future.

Unfortunately, the rules of French institutions certainly do not help you...
Maybe Truffle is a possible future for you, more solid than 100% own fork for sure.

To be fully transparent

- we will have one phd working on IoT and how to reduce/clean the image and
VM size and many other points she will probably work on a fork because
I cannot suicide a
student (by asking her to understand the messy plugin architecture)
and she will need some space to experiment.
Now if improvements she will perform take ages to be integrated in the
main VM I will ask
her not to do it and to focus on her future and science.
I imagine that everybody paying attention to people can understand this.

Good to know that you are paying attention to people, I had the impression that this was not allways the case.
I'm willing to help Pharo, I've helped producing Pharo brand 64 bits windows VM more than one year ago.
I'm struggling to make the community beneficial to all, but I don't feel like I get a lot of support and wonder if I'm not completely mistaken when I see all the efforts deployed to tear it apart...

Stef

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> by accident I stumbled upon the following code in AnnouncementSubscription:
>
>  makeWeak
>    action isBlock ifTrue: [ self error: 'Not currently available due to missing ephemerons support'].
>
> My understanding is that we have Ephemeron support in Pharo now working. Right?
>
> Anyone with more insights who knows how to fix/complete this? Should we at least open an issue?
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Stephane Ducasse-3
I will not reply publicly to this email because I think that it will get worse.
So I will not talk publicly about anything related to the Pharo VM in
the Pharo mailing-list and any other lists.
I will put a filter and trash emails automatically. Like that I will
get touched anymore by what I see.

You may think that I'm wrong. I'm probably.

Now just to make clear: I funded all the PhD of Clement, and all the
work of Igor around the VM.
And many other engineers and PhD (C. Bruni, Sophie, ...)
I'm fighting to make the Pharo consortium working so that we can pay
people like Esteban
(Esteban is not working in Pharo just because he cannot find a job
outside our little community and this
is the case for many other people) and other people.

Stef

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> like I get a lot of support and wonder if I'm not completely mistaken when I
> see all the efforts deployed to tear it apart...
>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > by accident I stumbled upon the following code in
>> > AnnouncementSubscription:
>> >
>> >  makeWeak
>> >    action isBlock ifTrue: [ self error: 'Not currently available due to
>> > missing ephemerons support'].
>> >
>> > My understanding is that we have Ephemeron support in Pharo now working.
>> > Right?
>> >
>> > Anyone with more insights who knows how to fix/complete this? Should we
>> > at least open an issue?
>> >
>> > Thx
>> > T.

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Esteban A. Maringolo
Stef,

I encourage you to disclose as much details as possible.

For "bystanders" as myself, it is, a Pharo _user_ that always thinks
of Pharo as the first option but
doesn't contribute to the core of it,  all this discussions only add
noise and concerns about the
stability of the whole Pharo ecosystem.

I've always had  the impression that Pharo is heavily dependent on
INRIA's/government institutions,
which in the end depend on political decisions instead of
"market/profit" objectives.
With the support of members of the Consortium I thought this had changed, but
reading your statements it seems it is not enough.

It is known you don't have the best temper, but it is also known you
strive to get the best for Pharo,
so if you're also aware of that you can avoid restraining yourself,
and say what you have
in mind trying to not make personal accusations.

I'd prefer a brutal and noisy truth instead of false quiet calm.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

> [...]
>>> student (by asking her to understand the messy plugin architecture)
>>> and she will need some space to experiment.
>>> Now if improvements she will perform take ages to be integrated in the
>>> main VM I will ask
>>> her not to do it and to focus on her future and science.
>>> I imagine that everybody paying attention to people can understand this.
>>>

>> Good to know that you are paying attention to people, I had the impression
>> that this was not allways the case.
>> I'm willing to help Pharo, I've helped producing Pharo brand 64 bits windows
>> VM more than one year ago.
>> I'm struggling to make the community beneficial to all, but I don't feel
>> like I get a lot of support and wonder if I'm not completely mistaken when I
>> see all the efforts deployed to tear it apart...
>>

>>> Stef

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

My last email on VM topics...

Hi esteban

Just for the record, our team spent a lot of engineering time and
money on Pharo.
May be I forgot some people. Often we bent research projects to
squeese in Pharo activities.

- Pavel 1 year paid for bootstrap and general improvements
- Denis 2 years paid for TelePharo (for research projects)
- Igor 4 years paid for athens, SDL, VM Build, TxText
- Christophe 5 years bootstrap, ci, infras, plauncher, cargo
- Clement two years as young engineer on compiler/VM
- Clement 6 months on Sista

- Camillo 3 years for his Phd
- Guille 3 years for his Phd
- Pablo 3 years for his Phd
- Mariano 3 years for his Phd
- Clement 3 years for thisPhd

- Guille two years on various improvements
- Me several years
- Marcus several years
- Damien on side project
- Esteban 4 years by Inria

- Nicolas Passerini got paid by the consortium 9 months
- Guillermo paid 6 months for database
- you and mariano got paid for side projects for a couple of months

Right now only Esteban is paid by the consortium because this what the
consortium
can pay!

If I sum up Inria put a lot of money on the table compared to the
users and people
benefitting from Pharo. But this is like that.

So I think that the consortium is a positive thing. Some people may
think the contrary.
Now do not expect miracles. A single guy cannot do much.
Retrospectively I think that
I made a mistake pushing to have tools for git. We should have go the
filetree way
and command line and gain 18 months of work. But I cannot be right all
the time.

Now if all the companies doing Pharo would put money on the table then
we could have
another full time engineer working to improve the situation. I hope
that this will happen.

Then about the VM: a VM is a complex piece of engineering.
And in the open-source community people apparently like to put in addition
not good process and extra constraints (super compatibility, different
dialects), not good communication,
So we end up with a not good situation.

Now I will not read and send any emails about the VM in the future. I
have a set a filter to
automatically trash any emails on the topic. So if you send me an
email and you see now reaction it is normal.
I think that we make no progress and we are even on regression on this part.

We will talk with the consortium members and asked them what is the priority
and if the VM is one of them, then we will have to take real decisions
to make progress.
Now since we cannot form someone on VM core rapidly we will see what are the
options. But to me what is clear is that the situation cannot continue
to be like that.
We cannot not control our process.

Stef

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>>
>>> How sarcasms are going to  federate and encourage people to make progress?
>>> What can you obtain with this sort of sentence but further splitting the
>>> community?
>>> Is it your goal?

>>> Unfortunately, the rules of French institutions certainly do not help you...
>>> Maybe Truffle is a possible future for you, more solid than 100% own fork
>>> for sure.

>>> Good to know that you are paying attention to people, I had the impression
>>> that this was not allways the case.
>>> I'm willing to help Pharo, I've helped producing Pharo brand 64 bits windows
>>> VM more than one year ago.
>>> I'm struggling to make the community beneficial to all, but I don't feel
>>> like I get a lot of support and wonder if I'm not completely mistaken when I
>>> see all the efforts deployed to tear it apart...

Re: AnnouncementSubscription and Ephemerons

Thank you for the detailed info Stef.

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo