Announcements for Pharo?

12

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 26, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Keith Hodges wrote:
>
>>>    We will include it.
>>>

>>> Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
>>> Lautaro Fernández
>> I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
>> loadable and only be called up if needed?
>
> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff

Yeap we know

> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
> This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/subscribing
> and
> can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
> provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
> In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
> available made all the difference.
>
> Michael

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

But announcements are really core. :)

Stef

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
>> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
>
> I have to disagree. The less we have the core, the easier it will be
> to maintain it. However, Announcements may be included in the Pharo
> distribution (currently named pharo-dev). I think we should discuss
> that. I've added it to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

>>> I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
>>> loadable and only be called up if needed?
>>
>> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
>> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
>> This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/
>> subscribing and
>> can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
>> provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
>> In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
>> available made all the difference.
>>
> Does that mean that the EventManager, package System-Object Events and
> the methods in Object will be replaced by that? If yes I'm all for it!

Would be nice.
I think that this is a reaslistic goal.
But not for 1.0 :)

> Norbert

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Jérôme
I agree.

Am 26.02.2009 um 17:19 schrieb Janko Mivšek:

> Announcements will soon become as core as Morphic, actually even more,
> because they can replace the existing event mechanism in Morphic. VW
> guys actually did that in their GUI, so this is proven in practice.
>
> Therefore it is good for Announcements to become part of core, because
> it will enable so many things, which is the main goal of the core
> anyway: to contain a functionality useful as broadly as possible.
>
> So, make an exception, include Announcements in core, noone will
> regret
> that!

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/26 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

>> > I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
>> > loadable and only be called up if needed?
>>
>> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
>> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
>> This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/subscribing and
>> can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
>> provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
>> In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
>> available made all the difference.
>>
> Does that mean that the EventManager, package System-Object Events and
> the methods in Object will be replaced by that? If yes I'm all for it!

I will examine it more closely.

> Norbert

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Lukas Renggli
If you include it, please take the latest version Announcements-lr.13
from <http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements/>.

I added a comment pointing to Vassili's blog and improved the tests.
Furthermore I removed the class StateMachine (described here
<http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/vbykov/blogView?entry=3346524723>)
that I don't think is a license clean re-implementation. If we need
it, somebody should read the blog and re-implement it without looking
at the code.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
ok I will

Stef

On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> If you include it, please take the latest version Announcements-lr.13
> from <http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements/>.
>
> I added a comment pointing to Vassili's blog and improved the tests.
> Furthermore I removed the class StateMachine (described here
> <http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/vbykov/blogView?entry=3346524723
> >)
> that I don't think is a license clean re-implementation. If we need
> it, somebody should read the blog and re-implement it without looking
> at the code.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli