Announcing UILooks-MacOSX107: Look and feel for OS X >= 10.7

Announcing UILooks-MacOSX107: Look and feel for OS X >= 10.7

Steven Kelly

Hi,

We’ve just published UILooks-MacOSX107, which updates the VW 7.* Mac OS X look and feel to match the OS X widgets from after the dropping of the aqua blue in 10.7 up to 10.10. There’s also UILooks-MacOSX106, which updates the Mac OSX look and feel to match Snow Leopard 10.6, e.g. no pinstripes (a change that VW itself made after 7.7.1). Most of this is the work of MetaCase’s Risto Pohjonen, but we’re releasing it under the MIT license in case it’s useful to others who are unable to upgrade to VW 8. It also solves the problem of VW running on Retina screens (it doesn’t use any bitmaps, which the VM incorrectly scales twice).

Attached is the difference between 7.7.1 base and with UILooks-MacOSX107 (plus MEMacOSXFont, MEMacOSXLucidaGrande, and Windows7LookPolicy for the tree view). Note the stretched top-left of buttons and scrollbars in the base, caused by incorrect bitmap scaling under Retina.

OSXLF_105-1010d.png

The current version is for 7.7.1. The VW Mac tab control changed significantly in 7.9, so that would need redoing – feel free to publish a (7.9).* branch if you want to try that.

Together with Holger Kleinsorgen’s marvellous Windows7LookPolicy and Windows8LookPolicy, we find we have better native UI fidelity and performance in 7.x than with UISkinning in 8.x. Many of our Linux users also appreciate being able to choose the Mac look.

Share and enjoy,

Steve

Re: Announcing UILooks-MacOSX107: Look and feel for OS X >= 10.7

Karsten Kusche
Super cool! VisualWorks with sharp text just made my day :-)

Karsten

--
Karsten Kusche - Dipl. Inf. (FH) - [hidden email]
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen

Am 16. Juni 2015 bei 20:04:07, Steven Kelly ([hidden email]) schrieb:

[...]

Steffen Märcker
Hi Steve,

I've just tried to give it a try on vw 7.10.1 but unfortunately it does
not work. Firstly, there apperas to be an unloadable definition for the
prereq UILooks-MacOSX106. And secondly a bunch of exception pops up if I
try to select the theme in the UI settings dropdown. Do you have any
insights on this? Having sharp text on my MBP would be just great.

Best, Steffen

Am .06.2015, 19:54 Uhr, schrieb Steven Kelly <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>

> We've just published UILooks-MacOSX107, which updates the VW 7.* Mac OS X
> look and feel to match the OS X widgets from after the dropping of the
> aqua
> blue in 10.7 up to 10.10. There's also UILooks-MacOSX106, which updates
> the
> Mac OSX look and feel to match Snow Leopard 10.6, e.g. no pinstripes (a
> change that VW itself made after 7.7.1). Most of this is the work of
> MetaCase's Risto Pohjonen, but we're releasing it under the MIT license
> in
> case it's useful to others who are unable to upgrade to VW 8. It also
> solves
> the problem of VW running on Retina screens (it doesn't use any bitmaps,
> which the VM incorrectly scales twice).
>

> Attached is the difference between 7.7.1 base and with UILooks-MacOSX107
> (plus MEMacOSXFont, MEMacOSXLucidaGrande, and Windows7LookPolicy for the
> tree
> view). Note the stretched top-left of buttons and scrollbars in the base,
> caused by incorrect bitmap scaling under Retina.
>

> The current version is for 7.7.1. The VW Mac tab control changed
> significantly in 7.9, so that would need redoing - feel free to publish a
> (7.9).* branch if you want to try that.
>

> Together with Holger Kleinsorgen's marvellous Windows7LookPolicy and
> Windows8LookPolicy, we find we have better native UI fidelity and
> performance
> in 7.x than with UISkinning in 8.x. Many of our Linux users also
> appreciate
> being able to choose the Mac look.
>

> Share and enjoy,
>
> Steve

Re: Announcing UILooks-MacOSX107: Look and feel for OS X >= 10.7

Steven Kelly
Hi Steffen,

Please see the part of the message:
> The current version is for 7.7.1. The VW Mac tab control changed
> significantly in 7.9, so that would need redoing - feel free to publish a
> (7.9).* branch if you want to try that.

All the best,
Steve

I am sorry, I must have missed that part. -_-'