Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

James Ashley
How-dee!

I'm working my way through PBE (no, I've been too broke lately to buy
a copy yet *blush*, but I will) and a few other smalltalk tutorials.

I've read the documents about getting halos activated in the first
place. I'm on linux, where alt-shift middle-click (I'm still trying to
get the button colors down) generally works.

In the lights out sample, it doesn't. I can ctrl-shift "left" click,
get a giant menu, and select "Add Halo." That puts a halo around the
individual cell. If I close it, it disappears and shows a blue
background (which I'm starting to suspect is a default for
morphics...is that close?).

If I jump back through the "Add Halo" hoops on that background, or
actually manage to click on the border, I just get what seems to be
halos for the desktop (system? background? It's always frustrating to
start learning a new system and not know the terminology...then again,
that's part of the fun).

I've been able to close the morphic by adding a "self owner delete"
mouse down handler to the cells, then commenting it out until I need
it. But it's more than a little painful.

I spent about two hours today googling for variations on "morphics
decorated frames", but the results I got suggested that I'm not even
in the ballpark.

I'm sorry if I missed an FAQ or didn't dig far enough back in the
mailing list archives.

Thanks in advance,
James

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 30, 2010, at 3:04 AM, James Ashley wrote:

> How-dee!
>
> I'm working my way through PBE (no, I've been too broke lately to buy
> a copy yet *blush*, but I will) and a few other smalltalk tutorials.

there is no problem. The pdfs version is for that :)

> I've read the documents about getting halos activated in the first
> place. I'm on linux, where alt-shift middle-click (I'm still trying to
> get the button colors down) generally works.
>
> In the lights out sample, it doesn't. I can ctrl-shift "left" click,
> get a giant menu, and select "Add Halo." That puts a halo around the
> individual cell. If I close it, it disappears and shows a blue
> background (which I'm starting to suspect is a default for
> morphics...is that close?).

Strange I do not get it.
normally the halso should be displayed when you click and option shift (but I'm on mac)

> If I jump back through the "Add Halo" hoops on that background, or
> actually manage to click on the border, I just get what seems to be
> halos for the desktop (system? background? It's always frustrating to
> start learning a new system and not know the terminology...then again,
> that's part of the fun).
>
> I've been able to close the morphic by adding a "self owner delete"
> mouse down handler to the cells, then commenting it out until I need
> it. But it's more than a little painful.
>
> I spent about two hours today googling for variations on "morphics
> decorated frames", but the results I got suggested that I'm not even
> in the ballpark.
>
> I'm sorry if I missed an FAQ or didn't dig far enough back in the
> mailing list archives.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> James

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

Daniel Klein
I'm going through the book too. If your problem is that you can't close the game then here's how... First, get halos around the upper-left cell and close it; it should turn blue. Then get halos around the cell that turned blue (which should be labeled 'LOGame') and then you can close the game. Hope that helps, Dan

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

laurent laffont
To close all the games opened you can evaluate:

LOGame allInstances do: [:i | i delete].

I'm currently working on a screencast for the LightsOut exercise in PBE. Should be out in a couple of days.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Daniel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm going through the book too. If your problem is that you can't close the
> game then here's how... First, get halos around the upper-left cell and
> close it; it should turn blue. Then get halos around the cell that turned
> blue (which should be labeled 'LOGame')

That's where my problem is...when I try to get halos around the closed
cell, it skips the LOGame morph and puts them on the desktop instead.
There's no 'x for close' option.

> and then you can close the game.
> Hope that helps, Dan

It tells me that I was on the right track. Maybe I need to just break
down and try the latest development version.

Thanks,
James

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

James Ashley
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2010, at 3:04 AM, James Ashley wrote:
>

>> I've read the documents about getting halos activated in the first
>> place. I'm on linux, where alt-shift middle-click (I'm still trying to
>> get the button colors down) generally works.
>>
>> In the lights out sample, it doesn't. I can ctrl-shift "left" click,
>> get a giant menu, and select "Add Halo." That puts a halo around the
>> individual cell. If I close it, it disappears and shows a blue
>> background (which I'm starting to suspect is a default for
>> morphics...is that close?).
>
> Strange I do not get it.
> normally the halso should be displayed when you click and option shift (but I'm
> on mac)

I'm starting to think this may be some sort of bug with the linux
version. I get the impression that the Squeak developers were heavily
tilted toward linux. Is the same true of Pharo?

Thank you,
James

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

James Ashley
On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 5:03 AM, laurent laffont
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> To close all the games opened you can evaluate:
> LOGame allInstances do: [:i | i delete].

I haven't had a chance to test it out, but that's pretty much exactly
what I was looking for.

> I'm currently working on a screencast for the LightsOut exercise in PBE.
> Should be out in a couple of days.

It was great, and helped a lot of pieces fall into place for me.

On Nov 3, 2010, at 12:33 PM, James Ashley wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2010, at 3:04 AM, James Ashley wrote:
>>

>>> I've read the documents about getting halos activated in the first
>>> place. I'm on linux, where alt-shift middle-click (I'm still trying to
>>> get the button colors down) generally works.
>>>
>>> In the lights out sample, it doesn't. I can ctrl-shift "left" click,
>>> get a giant menu, and select "Add Halo." That puts a halo around the
>>> individual cell. If I close it, it disappears and shows a blue
>>> background (which I'm starting to suspect is a default for
>>> morphics...is that close?).
>>
>> Strange I do not get it.
>> normally the halso should be displayed when you click and option shift (but I'm
>> on mac)
>
> I'm starting to think this may be some sort of bug with the linux
> version. I get the impression that the Squeak developers were heavily
> tilted toward linux.

not really since we were a lot of squeakers moving to pharo and on mac.

> Is the same true of Pharo?

> Thank you,
> James

Re: Another Halo Question (complete newbie)

James Ashley
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2010, at 12:33 PM, James Ashley wrote:
>

>> I'm starting to think this may be some sort of bug with the linux
>> version. I get the impression that the Squeak developers were heavily
>> tilted toward linux.
>
> not really since we were a lot of squeakers moving to pharo and on mac.

OK, cool. That makes me feel a lot safer about my suspicions. So I'll
keep doing what I can to learn, and contribute back if I actually get
that far.

Is there some sort of reference about why the fork was made? I'm sure
there were a lot of politics (icck) involved), and pharo feels a lot
more solid than squeak ever did, but I'm curious about the real
reasons. The website's "we felt the project was moving in the wrong
direction" just implies a lot without really saying anything.

I don't want to dig skeletons out of the closet or bring up any old
hard feelings. I'm just curious.

Thank you,
James