Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another NuScratch issue

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

So I built a new VM with a  fix  for the input method change.  I did not fully test the other things but Scratch on the VM does not do animations. It updates screen only when mouse is moved, or some slower interval:

I suspect that there might have been some options I needed to pass in to specify some timers?  Can you think of other reasons why this might happen and where to look to fix it?

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another NuScratch issue

timrowledge

> On 2020-11-20, at 3:10 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So I built a new VM with a  fix  for the input method change.  I did not fully test the other things but Scratch on the VM does not do animations. It updates screen only when mouse is moved, or some slower interval:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/QHgKCeeP2bnQGESu5

That's really weird. I see two systems running at the same time there - same image? Different VM?

>
> I suspect that there might have been some options I needed to pass in to specify some timers?  Can you think of other reasons why this might happen and where to look to fix it?

I never had any timer related options to worry about, so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.

What happens if you use the 'new' VM but don't use the compositor/input thing? IIRC I had terrible problems caused by that ibus program and we had to make sure it didn't get into the Raspbian release.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- Several nuts over fruitcake minimum.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 4:50 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> So I built a new VM with a  fix  for the input method change.  I did not fully test the other things but Scratch on the VM does not do animations. It updates screen only when mouse is moved, or some slower interval:
>

That's really weird. I see two systems running at the same time there - same image? Different VM?

Yeah, those are running the same image on different VMs. 

>
> I suspect that there might have been some options I needed to pass in to specify some timers?  Can you think of other reasons why this might happen and where to look to fix it?

I never had any timer related options to worry about, so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.

What happens if you use the 'new' VM but don't use the compositor/input thing? IIRC I had terrible problems caused by that ibus program and we had to make sure it didn't get into the Raspbian release.

I'll check it out. I wasn't expecting this kind of problem and did not fully test things out.

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 5:11 PM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> So I built a new VM with a  fix  for the input method change.  I did not fully test the other things but Scratch on the VM does not do animations. It updates screen only when mouse is moved, or some slower interval:
>

>
> I suspect that there might have been some options I needed to pass in to specify some timers?  Can you think of other reasons why this might happen and where to look to fix it?

I'll check it out. I wasn't expecting this kind of problem and did not fully test things out.

Not having compositioninput does not fix the problem. With a non-scratch image and I run BouncingAtomsMorph, the screen update on my VM is one frame per second unless I move the mouse pointer.

Which function to obtain the current time to tell the VM to run the next event loop? I can check if it is called.

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:32 AM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>

>

Not having compositioninput does not fix the problem. With a non-scratch image and I run BouncingAtomsMorph, the screen update on my VM is one frame per second unless I move the mouse pointer.

Which function to obtain the current time to tell the VM to run the next event loop? I can check if it is called.

One datapoint is that making the  argument for aioSleepForUsecs in display_ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds() to be always zero:

static sqInt display_ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds(sqInt microSeconds)
{
   aioSleepForUsecs(handleEvents() ? 0 : 0); // aioSleepForUsecs(handleEvents() ? 0 : 1000);
  return 0;
}  

makes it run smoothly. So the return value from handleEvents() would have to make sense.

(still investigating..)
--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>

>

One datapoint is that making the  argument for aioSleepForUsecs in display_ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds() to be always zero:

{
   aioSleepForUsecs(handleEvents() ? 0 : 0); // aioSleepForUsecs(handleEvents() ? 0 : 1000);
  return 0;
}  

makes it run smoothly. So the return value from handleEvents() would have to make sense.

(still investigating..)

So the handleEvents() looks like this: 

--------------------
int handleEvents(void)
{
  if (recordPendingKeys())
    return 0;

if (!isConnectedToXServer || !XPending(stDisplay)) {
    return !iebEmptyP();
  }

while (XPending(stDisplay))
    {
      XEvent evt;
      XNextEvent(stDisplay, &evt);
      handleEvent(&evt);
    }
  return 1;
}
--------------------
but the part that affecting the animation performance is "return !iebEmptyP()". If I take out "!", it tells the caller that it handled an event when (?) not collected to the X server (which is a weird test) or not X event is not pending, check if the input event buffer is empty or not.

This check may be okay but needs some clarifications.

But I suspect that aioSleepForUsecs() on this platform may be sleeping given milliseconds and not microseconds. That may be consistent with the symptom of waking up at every second...

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge
In reply to this post by Yoshiki Ohshima-3

OK, just tried this on my built-last-week ARM64 VM on a Pi 4 and BouncingAtoms happily bounce. 300 -> throttled, 3000 -> 11fps.

The code for handleEvents() in this VM is the same as you posted. Apparently (if we trust 'guthub desktop') I last downloaded any sources on Oct 16 (or as I prefer to think of it, March 230th). Maybe that provides a useful check point.

> On 2020-11-21, at 9:32 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not having compositioninput does not fix the problem. With a non-scratch image and I run BouncingAtomsMorph, the screen update on my VM is one frame per second unless I move the mouse pointer.

The only weirdness about my setup that might, just possibly, affect this is that my Pi are all connected to my iMac with VNC; none have local displays.

tim
--
Useful random insult:- Put a lens in each ear and you've got a telescope.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, just tried this on my built-last-week ARM64 VM on a Pi 4 and BouncingAtoms happily bounce. 300 -> throttled, 3000 -> 11fps.

Ok... How about ARM32? If that makes a difference, it may be about the complex ifdefs in aioPoll() that somehow fails to capture the case.

The code for handleEvents() in this VM is the same as you posted. Apparently (if we trust 'guthub desktop') I last downloaded any sources on Oct 16 (or as I prefer to think of it, March 230th). Maybe that provides a useful check point.

> On 2020-11-21, at 9:32 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not having compositioninput does not fix the problem. With a non-scratch image and I run BouncingAtomsMorph, the screen update on my VM is one frame per second unless I move the mouse pointer.

The only weirdness about my setup that might, just possibly, affect this is that my Pi are all connected to my iMac with VNC; none have local displays.

tim
--
Useful random insult:- Put a lens in each ear and you've got a telescope.

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Yoshiki Ohshima-3

Hi Yoshiki,

Levente replaced the select code with epoll code on Linux a fey weeks ago.  Maybe there’s a regression.

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On Nov 21, 2020, at 10:28 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>

>

{
  return 0;
}  

(still investigating..)

So the handleEvents() looks like this: 

--------------------
int handleEvents(void)
{
  if (recordPendingKeys())
    return 0;

if (!isConnectedToXServer || !XPending(stDisplay)) {
    return !iebEmptyP();
  }

while (XPending(stDisplay))
    {
      XEvent evt;
      XNextEvent(stDisplay, &evt);
      handleEvent(&evt);
    }
  return 1;
}
--------------------
but the part that affecting the animation performance is "return !iebEmptyP()". If I take out "!", it tells the caller that it handled an event when (?) not collected to the X server (which is a weird test) or not X event is not pending, check if the input event buffer is empty or not.

This check may be okay but needs some clarifications.

But I suspect that aioSleepForUsecs() on this platform may be sleeping given milliseconds and not microseconds. That may be consistent with the symptom of waking up at every second...

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Yoshiki,
>
>    Levente replaced the select code with epoll code on Linux a fey weeks
> ago.  Maybe there’s a regression.

That is indeed the culprit. epoll_wait expects the timeout in milliseconds
but the value is in microseconds. Unfortunately, fixing that brings back
the old increased cpu usage.

Levente
Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2020-11-22, at 8:50 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Hi Yoshiki,
>>
>>   Levente replaced the select code with epoll code on Linux a fey weeks
>> ago.  Maybe there’s a regression.
>
> That is indeed the culprit. epoll_wait expects the timeout in milliseconds but the value is in microseconds. Unfortunately, fixing that brings back the old increased cpu usage.

Do we have a decent solution for this issue? It *utterly* ruins NuScratch on a Pi and I'm trying to make a new release. Won't someone please think of the children?

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: ETO: Emulate Toaster Oven

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, tim Rowledge wrote:

>
>
>
>> On 2020-11-22, at 8:50 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Yoshiki,
>>>
>>>   Levente replaced the select code with epoll code on Linux a fey weeks
>>> ago.  Maybe there’s a regression.
>>
>> That is indeed the culprit. epoll_wait expects the timeout in milliseconds but the value is in microseconds. Unfortunately, fixing that brings back the old increased cpu usage.
>
> Do we have a decent solution for this issue? It *utterly* ruins NuScratch on a Pi and I'm trying to make a new release. Won't someone please think of the children?
Just pushed a fix[1]. Let me know if that works.

Levente

[1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/3db3888c2a76bd91ef66d70521d85f80e9d18f1d
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: ETO: Emulate Toaster Oven
Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

Thanks.

I had a workaround but was not for real. Levente's patch works for me.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 9:35 PM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
 On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, tim Rowledge wrote:

>
>
>
>> On 2020-11-22, at 8:50 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Yoshiki,
>>>
>>>   Levente replaced the select code with epoll code on Linux a fey weeks
>>> ago.  Maybe there’s a regression.
>>
>> That is indeed the culprit. epoll_wait expects the timeout in milliseconds but the value is in microseconds. Unfortunately, fixing that brings back the old increased cpu usage.
>
> Do we have a decent solution for this issue? It *utterly* ruins NuScratch on a Pi and I'm trying to make a new release. Won't someone please think of the children?

Just pushed a fix[1]. Let me know if that works.

Levente

[1] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/3db3888c2a76bd91ef66d70521d85f80e9d18f1d
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: ETO: Emulate Toaster Oven

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2020-12-14, at 9:31 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
>
> I had a workaround but was not for real. Levente's patch works for me.

It's a big improvement but there is still something making for odd hesitations in Asteroid Blaster; which is obviously one of the most important benchmarks imaginable. Probably not a VM thing though

tim
--
Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

Where can I try the  Asteroid Blaster? My workaround was just divide the wait time by 1000 and I'm curious to see if that has different effects on a different example.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thanks.
>

It's a big improvement but there is still something making for odd hesitations in Asteroid Blaster; which is obviously one of the most important benchmarks imaginable. Probably not a VM thing though

tim
--

--
-- Yoshiki

Reply | Threaded
|

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

I finally dug up the Asteroid Blaster project (thanks to Abe-san) and tried it on the last VM  built from the head of Cog branch. I cannot tell the "odd hesitation",   Is there something else I should check?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 10:44 AM Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where can I try the  Asteroid Blaster? My workaround was just divide the wait time by 1000 and I'm curious to see if that has different effects on a different example.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thanks.
>

tim
--

--
-- Yoshiki

--
-- Yoshiki