Another Runtime Deployment Question

Steve Geringer
Related question to my last post...

The WIKI states:

>Registering Libraries
>One thing to point out is that, if you are transferring the DLLs to another
>machine, two of them need to be registered using regsvr32. Something like:
>regsvr32 dolphinvm993.dll
>regsvr32 dolphincr993.dll

What is the purpose of dolphincr993.dll  ?
I did not ship this since all functions worked fine without it.

Is it absolutely necessary to register these DLLs if I have it configured
so the DLLs are in the same directory ?

Thanks,
Steve Geringer

Re: Another Runtime Deployment Question

Blair McGlashan
Steve

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> Related question to my last post...

> What is the purpose of dolphincr993.dll  ?
> I did not ship this since all functions worked fine without it.

It is the Smalltalk compiler. If you aren't compiling stuff at runtime, then
you won't need it.

> Is it absolutely necessary to register these DLLs if I have it configured
> so the DLLs are in the same directory ?

It is always necessary to register the compiler, if used. In Dolphin 4.0 the
VM will be found even if not registered, but I cannot remember off the top
of my head whether it worked like that in 3.x.

Looing to the future: In Dolphin 5.x the default deployment mode is "To Go",
which creates a single, standalone .EXE (or .DLL when deploying in-process
COM components). There is no separate VM unless one deliberately deploys the
app. that way. The only unavoidable dependency is MSVCRT.DLL, which is very
likely to be on any Windows machine anyway.

Regards

Blair