Another new pier site

tfleig
I created http://www.analyticliberal.com for a opinionated acquaintance of mine. TF

Re: Another new pier site

tfleig
(Its an example of a minimalist blog I would say.)

Re: Another new pier site

Tudor Girba
Nice.

Just a couple of remarks regarding the style:
- It would probably be better if you would remove the bullets from the first page.
- The footer should be aligned with the main content
- The contents component would be better positioned on top, so that when you login you see it immediately without scrolling

Other than that, it would be cool to have it as a template for a minimalistic blog indeed.

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Jan 2011, at 22:03, tfleig wrote:

> (Its an example of a minimalist blog I would say.)

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Another new pier site

tfleig
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree about the bullets and the footer alignment. I'll take care of that.

Are you referring the always-empty contents component on the opening page? If so, why does it matter where it is located? I'm concerned that maybe you are seeing something I am not...

This was very much a trial-and-error development process as I am new to Pier and I found the (non-existent) documentation somewhat lacking ;). I think a lot of cleanup would be needed for it to be any kind of template.

Again, thank you for taking the time to criticize the site.

TF

On 31 Jan 2011, at 03:02, Tony Fleig wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I agree about the bullets and the footer alignment. I'll take care of that.

Great.

> Are you referring the always-empty contents component on the opening page? If so, why does it matter where it is located? I'm concerned that maybe you are seeing something I am not...

No, no :). It's true that contents is empty on the main page, but if I want to login, I have to scroll all the way down to see the dialog. If you position the contents on top, then you will see the dialog on top.

> This was very much a trial-and-error development process as I am new to Pier and I found the (non-existent) documentation somewhat lacking ;). I think a lot of cleanup would be needed for it to be any kind of template.

You did a nice job. If you want to take a look at how to create a template that can be shipped with the distribution, please take a look at PRDistribution and subclasses.

Cheers,
Doru

> Again, thank you for taking the time to criticize the site.
>
> TF
>
> On Jan 30, 2011, at 13:19, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nice.
>>
>> Just a couple of remarks regarding the style:
>> - It would probably be better if you would remove the bullets from the first page.
>> - The footer should be aligned with the main content
>> - The contents component would be better positioned on top, so that when you login you see it immediately without scrolling
>>
>> Other than that, it would be cool to have it as a template for a minimalistic blog indeed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 30 Jan 2011, at 22:03, tfleig wrote:
>>

>>> (Its an example of a minimalist blog I would say.)
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "One cannot do more than one can do."

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Another new pier site

tfleig

On Jan 30, 2011, at 18:13, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 31 Jan 2011, at 03:02, Tony Fleig wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> I agree about the bullets and the footer alignment. I'll take care of that.
>
> Great.
>
>> Are you referring the always-empty contents component on the opening page? If so, why does it matter where it is located? I'm concerned that maybe you are seeing something I am not...
>
> No, no :). It's true that contents is empty on the main page, but if I want to login, I have to scroll all the way down to see the dialog. If you position the contents on top, then you will see the dialog on top.

Ah. I understand. Also when editing the site I wouldn't have to scroll down to see the components list and such. Good point.

>> This was very much a trial-and-error development process as I am new to Pier and I found the (non-existent) documentation somewhat lacking ;). I think a lot of cleanup would be needed for it to be any kind of template.
>
> You did a nice job. If you want to take a look at how to create a template that can be shipped with the distribution, please take a look at PRDistribution and subclasses.

I will do that. I would like to help improve and promote the use of Smalltalk, Pharo, and Pier if I can.

Cheers,
TF