Another newbie question: debugging?

Chris Curtis
I think I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get the debugger to come up. I've got my seaside (3.0) application deployed into GemStone (2.4.2.1) and a session connected up via GemTools (1.0-beta.6). I have a browser open on the method I want to debug, I put the cursor on a line I want the breakpoint at, and click/select 'debug it'. When that method gets called (which I know because it's rendering the error on the web page output) nothing special happens in Pharo. When I click the Debug... button in GemTools, I get a dialog asking to abort the transaction.

It's probably something simple, but I've never had to set up debugging on GemStone before so I'm kind of lost.

--chris

Re: Another newbie question: debugging?

SeanTAllen
How did you start your swazoo server?

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Chris Curtis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get the
> debugger to come up. I've got my seaside (3.0) application deployed into
> GemStone (2.4.2.1) and a session connected up via GemTools (1.0-beta.6). I
> have a browser open on the method I want to debug, I put the cursor on a
> line I want the breakpoint at, and click/select 'debug it'. When that method
> gets called (which I know because it's rendering the error on the web page
> output) nothing special happens in Pharo. When I click the Debug... button
> in GemTools, I get a dialog asking to abort the transaction.
> It's probably something simple, but I've never had to set up debugging on
> GemStone before so I'm kind of lost.
> --chris

Re: Another newbie question: debugging?

Chris Curtis
runSeasideGems -> startSeaside30_Adaptor.

--chris

How did you start your swazoo server?

Re: Another newbie question: debugging?

Dale
Chris,

The "remote debugger" has not yet been implemented in Seaside3.0 ... one of the reasons that there isn't a lot of info about using Seaside 3.0 with GemStone is that it is not complete in that a lot of the supporting tools have not been ported to Seaside 3.0 ... there is no object log viewer, the profiler has not been ported, and the remote debugger has not been ported.

I made a special effort to get Seaside3.0 to this point (without the supporting tools) so that a few folks could go into production with Seaside3.0. Since then I have been trying to focus on GLASS 1.0-beta.8 so that the folks that have apps running in Seaside2.8 can update to the latest code ...

Once 1.0-beta.8 is out the door, I will be working on completing the Seaside2.0 port as well as getting Magritte2 and Pier2 ported to GemStone...

Dale
----- "Chris Curtis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I think I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get the
| debugger to come up. I've got my seaside (3.0) application deployed
| into
| GemStone (2.4.2.1) and a session connected up via GemTools
| (1.0-beta.6). I
| have a browser open on the method I want to debug, I put the cursor on
| line I want the breakpoint at, and click/select 'debug it'. When that
| method
| gets called (which I know because it's rendering the error on the web
| page
| output) nothing special happens in Pharo. When I click the Debug...
| button
| in GemTools, I get a dialog asking to abort the transaction.
|
| It's probably something simple, but I've never had to set up debugging
| on
| GemStone before so I'm kind of lost.
|
| --chris

Re: Another newbie question: debugging?

Chris Curtis
Aaah. Well, that would explain why it doesn't work. :-)

I never tried my code in Seaside 2.8 ... serves me right for living on the bleeding edge, I guess. Hmm... [self wonderIfItWillWork].

Well I'm slowly getting more comfortable with Seaside, Smalltalk, and GemStone, so if there are any areas in which I could help contribute back to the project, I'd be willing to take a shot at them. (And no, I'm pretty sure the remote debugger is beyond my abilities at the moment.)

--chris

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

The "remote debugger" has not yet been implemented in Seaside3.0 ... one of the reasons that there isn't a lot of info about using Seaside 3.0 with GemStone is that it is not complete in that a lot of the supporting tools have not been ported to Seaside 3.0 ... there is no object log viewer, the profiler has not been ported, and the remote debugger has not been ported.

I made a special effort to get Seaside3.0 to this point (without the supporting tools) so that a few folks could go into production with Seaside3.0. Since then I have been trying to focus on GLASS 1.0-beta.8 so that the folks that have apps running in Seaside2.8 can update to the latest code ...

Once 1.0-beta.8 is out the door, I will be working on completing the Seaside2.0 port as well as getting Magritte2 and Pier2 ported to GemStone...

Dale
----- "Chris Curtis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I think I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get the
| debugger to come up. I've got my seaside (3.0) application deployed
| into
| GemStone (2.4.2.1) and a session connected up via GemTools
| (1.0-beta.6). I
| have a browser open on the method I want to debug, I put the cursor on
| line I want the breakpoint at, and click/select 'debug it'. When that
| method
| gets called (which I know because it's rendering the error on the web
| page
| output) nothing special happens in Pharo. When I click the Debug...
| button
| in GemTools, I get a dialog asking to abort the transaction.
|
| It's probably something simple, but I've never had to set up debugging
| on
| GemStone before so I'm kind of lost.
|
| --chris

Re: Another newbie question: debugging?

Dale
Chris,

You _are_ doing your part by living on the bleeding edge and asking questions.

For code development I'd rather wait until I get this dang 1.0-beta.8 out the door ... contributing will be much easier then...

If you are interested documenting the steps you have taken so far up on the wiki (http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/) would be helpful...

Dale

----- "Chris Curtis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Aaah. Well, that would explain why it doesn't work. :-)
|
| I never tried my code in Seaside 2.8 ... serves me right for living on
| the
| bleeding edge, I guess. Hmm... [self wonderIfItWillWork].
|
| Well I'm slowly getting more comfortable with Seaside, Smalltalk, and
| GemStone, so if there are any areas in which I could help contribute
| back to
| the project, I'd be willing to take a shot at them. (And no, I'm
| pretty sure
| the remote debugger is beyond my abilities at the moment.)
|
| --chris
|
| On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]>wrote:
|
| > Chris,
| >
| > The "remote debugger" has not yet been implemented in Seaside3.0 ...
| one of
| > the reasons that there isn't a lot of info about using Seaside 3.0
| with
| > GemStone is that it is not complete in that a lot of the supporting
| tools
| > have not been ported to Seaside 3.0 ... there is no object log
| viewer, the
| > profiler has not been ported, and the remote debugger has not been
| ported.
| >
| > I made a special effort to get Seaside3.0 to this point (without
| the
| > supporting tools) so that a few folks could go into production with
| > Seaside3.0. Since then I have been trying to focus on GLASS
| 1.0-beta.8 so
| > that the folks that have apps running in Seaside2.8 can update to
| the latest
| > code ...
| >
| > Once 1.0-beta.8 is out the door, I will be working on completing
| the
| > Seaside2.0 port as well as getting Magritte2 and Pier2 ported to
| GemStone...
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Chris Curtis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | I think I must be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get
| the
| > | debugger to come up. I've got my seaside (3.0) application
| deployed
| > | into
| > | GemStone (2.4.2.1) and a session connected up via GemTools
| > | (1.0-beta.6). I
| > | have a browser open on the method I want to debug, I put the
| cursor on
| > | line I want the breakpoint at, and click/select 'debug it'. When
| that
| > | method
| > | gets called (which I know because it's rendering the error on the
| web
| > | page
| > | output) nothing special happens in Pharo. When I click the
| Debug...
| > | button
| > | in GemTools, I get a dialog asking to abort the transaction.
| > |