Another one for Show Inherited Methods

Costas
When you enable Show Inherited Methods in Class you get to see all the
Instance methods as well. Try this with Object and all the instance
side methods appear mixed in with class side methods

Costas

Re: Another one for Show Inherited Methods

Blair McGlashan
"Costas" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> When you enable Show Inherited Methods in Class you get to see all the
> Instance methods as well. Try this with Object and all the instance
> side methods appear mixed in with class side methods

Not exactly - you get all of the Object's instance side methods (unless you
have turned on filtering of Object methods), because classes are Objects.

The inheritance chain is (assuming a direct subclass of Object):

    Object
        Behavior
            ClassDescription
                Class
                    Object class
                        YourClass class

Regards

Blair

Re: Another one for Show Inherited Methods

Andy Bower
Costas,

> > When you enable Show Inherited Methods in Class you get to see all the
> > Instance methods as well. Try this with Object and all the instance
> > side methods appear mixed in with class side methods
>
> Not exactly - you get all of the Object's instance side methods (unless
you

> have turned on filtering of Object methods), because classes are Objects.
>
> The inheritance chain is (assuming a direct subclass of Object):
>
>     Object
>         Behavior
>             ClassDescription
>                 Class
>                     Object class
>                         YourClass class

Just to back up Blair's reply. One thing we may add in a future release will
be the ability to choose how far up the chain the Inherited Methods option
goes. We thought about adding this to the 5.0 release but in the end we ran
out of time and thought it was best not to delay the release any longer.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Another one for Show Inherited Methods

ar-2
On Tue, 7 May 2002 10:04:29 +0100, "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Just to back up Blair's reply. One thing we may add in a future release will
>be the ability to choose how far up the chain the Inherited Methods option
>goes. We thought about adding this to the 5.0 release but in the end we ran
>out of time and thought it was best not to delay the release any longer.

If you do this, may I suggest a drop-down comboBox at the head of the method
list containing the class hierarchy, as in VSE's browser?

Another nice feature was a 2nd drop-down comboBox at the foot of the method
list which contained a list of the classes  in the hierarchy which implement
the selected method, allowing you to switch which implementation was shown in
the method text pane.

In conjunction with that, showing the package name as a button instead of a
status pane item would provide an easy switch of the package selection to
allow editing of the method. This would also be nice in any situation where
editing is disabled such as clicking another class in the class hierarchy
pane.

-Alan Reider

Re: Another one for Show Inherited Methods

Costas Menico
Andy,

Maybe the Object filter option should remove not only  Object methods
but everything above Object class. But at least I understand what is
happening.

Regards

Costas

>Costas,
>
>> > When you enable Show Inherited Methods in Class you get to see all the
>> > Instance methods as well. Try this with Object and all the instance
>> > side methods appear mixed in with class side methods
>>
>> Not exactly - you get all of the Object's instance side methods (unless
>you
>> have turned on filtering of Object methods), because classes are Objects.
>>
>> The inheritance chain is (assuming a direct subclass of Object):
>>
>>     Object
>>         Behavior
>>             ClassDescription
>>                 Class
>>                     Object class
>>                         YourClass class
>
>Just to back up Blair's reply. One thing we may add in a future release will
>be the ability to choose how far up the chain the Inherited Methods option
>goes. We thought about adding this to the 5.0 release but in the end we ran
>out of time and thought it was best not to delay the release any longer.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Andy Bower
>Dolphin Support
>http://www.object-arts.com
>---
>Are you trying too hard?
>http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
>---

Re: Another one for Show Inherited Methods

Andy Bower
Costas,

> Maybe the Object filter option should remove not only  Object methods
> but everything above Object class. But at least I understand what is
> happening.

I agree. Recorded as issue #923.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower