Another starter question

James Davis
Thanks for the suggestions re: large sketches. Now I have another new
user-ish type question. I have seen in some projects an "About" tab
that expands when clicked to reveal information about a project. How
do you do that?

jd

Re: Another starter question

Bert Freudenberg
On 23.12.2009, at 23:51, James Davis wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions re: large sketches. Now I have another new user-ish type question. I have seen in some projects an "About" tab that expands when clicked to reveal information about a project. How do you do that?

It's called a "Flap" and clicking the tab expands it. Being considered an advanced feature, flaps are hidden a bit. Press cmd-comma to bring up a menu containing a "flaps..." item. In the submenu you will find an item "make a new flap".

You may also want to read the "About flaps" entry. It's is slightly outdated in that no flaps are shown anymore by default, they used to be central to the interface.  (well technically, we still have flaps, though in disguise - viewer flaps, the supplies flap, the tool bar)

Anyway, it was proposed to make flaps easier to create:

        http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-529

But so far few people have expressed interest in that feature.

- Bert -

Re: Another starter question

James Davis
Never mind about the "About tab" question -- I figured out how to do
it using the Button Flap object.

jd

Re: Re: Another starter question

p.a.dreyfuss@excite.com
Get the world's halo.
Clic on the menu and choose 'preferences'

In the blue part click on 'menu' then check 'escapeKeyProducesMenu'

Now hit esc Key, you get a menu with flaps...
lick there and in the submenu, you'll find 'create new flap' just what you need.
You'll be asked for the side you wants the flap beeing attached to.

if you want to have escapeKeyProducesMenu pemanently, you can record the image( which is the actual state of your Etoys not a picture) .

In that case just open Etoys, enable 'escapeKeyProducesMenu' and save the image using a save image in the bottom of the worldmenu.

This will work only if you have right for writing to he etoys.image file.

Regards

Never mind about the "About tab" question -- I figured out how to do
it using the Button Flap object.

jd

Nutrition
Click Here For More Information

Re: Another starter question

K. K. Subramaniam
On Thursday 24 December 2009 04:21:57 am James Davis wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions re: large sketches. Now I have another new
> user-ish type question. I have seen in some projects an "About" tab
> that expands when clicked to reveal information about a project. How
> do you do that?
Just a few points about Flaps. The name is very misleading ;-). If you think
of a project world as the floor with objects in them, Flaps are like wall
cabinets/drawers/lockers. They are an advanced concept in Morphic programming
but very useful in practice.

  * Flaps are operated through 'Flap Tabs' (again misleadingly named) - the
tiny label you see sticking to the edge of the screen. These tabs act like
cabinet/drawer handles.
  * they 'stick' to the screen and are not embedded in the project's world
(i.e. they are not part of world's submorphs) unlike other morphs you see
within the project.
  * they are global. So they can be used to hold objects while copying them
from one project to another.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Another starter question

Carlos Rabassa
James Davis,

I had been wondering about the flaps for a while but, never took the trouble of asking.

Thank you for asking so I also enjoy the answers you are receiving.

Since the projects in the Showcase are shared by people at all levels,  from experts to guys like me just starting,  instructions are very important.

These days I have been looking at ideas for showing instructions.

I liked very much digimath's solution at

Frog Puzzle

Click on the red Help button and a book opens.

Press the space bar and it closes.

Inspired by this solution and with the desire of putting bilingual instructions since most of the community communicates in English and most of us in Uruguay communicate in Spanish,  I came up with the solution I show at

Aprendo I Learn 005