Any configuration file parsing library

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I'm looking for a library to parse configuration files. I have no
configuration format yet so I'm open. I was thinking of a typical INI
format:

[section1]
param1=value1
param2=value2

[section2]
param1=value3

Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
There is INIFile in the Configuration Browser.
But I know nothing about it, Torsten wrote it I guess.

On 28 Nov 2013, at 14:39, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a library to parse configuration files. I have no
> configuration format yet so I'm open. I was thinking of a typical INI
> format:
>
> [section1]
> param1=value1
> param2=value2
>
> [section2]
> param1=value3

> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

philippeback
map.squeak.org/package/3b80fe5d-5762-4e52-9943-f98d6f35851b

--
---
Philippe Back

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a library to parse configuration files.

My colleagues thought using STON could be a good idea. Would you use
STON to write a configuration file?

Winston Churchill

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Damien,

On 28 Nov 2013, at 15:10, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a library to parse configuration files.
>

> My colleagues thought using STON could be a good idea. Would you use
> STON to write a configuration file?

Yes, definitively. If you write it out with the pretty print option, it is quite readable/editable. You can also both read and write.

If non-smalltalkers are involved, JSON is a simpler alternative that requires more work from your side.

Sven

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

Göran Krampe
Hi!

On 11/28/2013 02:39 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a library to parse configuration files. I have no
> configuration format yet so I'm open. I was thinking of a typical INI
> format:
>
> [section1]
> param1=value1
> param2=value2
>
> [section2]
> param1=value3

In Gjallar we used the ini format and it often works just fine for
"settings". :)

But just to throw in something from the sideline, Tirade is also quite
nifty:

"Section 1"
param1: 'value1'.
param2: 123.

"Section 2"
blabla: $a.

...as you can see it is "just Smalltalk messages". One disadvantage of
Tirade
would be that you need to remember the "." at the end of each message.

An advantage is that you don't need to "parse it", you just implement
the messages in some class and then you can use the the reader in Tirade
to just "feed" those messages to that object.

More info: http://goran.krampe.se/category/tirade/

regards, Göran

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

Esteban A. Maringolo
Why not a simple JSON file?

It's utter simple to parse.

Esteban A. Maringolo

On 11/28/2013 04:37 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> Why not a simple JSON file?
>
> It's utter simple to parse.

That was already mentioned :)

Although in many cases an ini file is easier for non-devs than a JSON
file. No, really, it is. Really. :)

regards, Göran

Re: Any configuration file parsing library

Use Ston it is cool and simple.

Stef