Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi all!

I am interested if there is any RDF model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework) implemented in Pharo (or another Smalltalk)?

Thank you!
Juraj

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Juraj,

There is an RDF project in Cincom's Public Repository for VW.

And there it seems somebody was wanting to migrate it to Pharo since
there is a "RDF fileout Pharo" package whose first version says:

--- Blessed: Work In Progress
--- By: chaider
--- On 25/08/2019 08:20:42
started the RDF transformation for Pharo

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:03 AM Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am interested if there is any RDF model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework) implemented in Pharo (or another Smalltalk)?
>
> Thank you!
> Juraj

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Torsten Bergmann
Christian Haider has one for VisualWorks - which is also Open Source and MIT licensed.
https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=rdf

You should contact him when you would like to port to Pharo.

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Christian Haider

I did one for VisualWorks: https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=rdf

Happy hacking,

                Christian

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Christian,

thank you for the link to you project? If I understand it well, I need the latest VisualWorks and I find the project in the public store, right?

Have you also tried to migrate it to Pharo as Esteban suggests? What is the status?

Best,
Juraj

On 16 Mar 2020, at 11:53, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I did one for VisualWorks: https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=rdf

Happy hacking,
                Christian

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Christian Haider

Hi Juraj,

yes, you need VisualWorks, but any old one will do, since it does not need any new stuff.

For a migration you need Values (simple, more below) and an XML implementation (I heard XML is robust in Pharo, but have not used it. The API may be different from the VW one).

The status of the implementation has not changed and I have just started to use it to implement XMP, which will change and refine the RDF API.

I am not aware of any other users. This means, that it is not speedified nor robustified 😊 – but any help is welcome!

Before last ESUG, I started to port RDF for the community, because someone asked me for it.

I started with the Values package by renaming my OrderedDictionary to Valuemap, because I couldn’t use the Pharo OrderedDictionary since it is kaputt. I am still suffering from this renaming, since it is at the core of all I do…

Later at ESUG, I had a discussion about porting with the one who asked me. Then I lost interest .

So, if you want to do something, I can help you with any questions.

(But, unless there is a business case, I will not touch Pharo just for fun).

Happy hacking,

                Christian

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Christian Haider

No, you don’t need any of the PDF stuff.

On the contrary, RDF will be a prerequisite for PDF once XMP is implemented.

RDF itself needs only Values and a decent XML implementation.

Happy hacking,

                Christian

Re: Any existing RDF implementation in Pharo?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Christian,

thank you for the explanation! Now, I now what to expect and search for :-)
I am particularly curious how you implemented it. I will see, if I need to port it to Pharo.

Best,
Juraj

On 17 Mar 2020, at 08:15, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Great!

Please keep me posted when you are doing something.

Good luck,