Any good hack for Saving both in STS and to file system?

Any good hack for Saving both in STS and to file system?

TimM-3
I've noticed that if you save changes in STS (package -> changes -> save
edition) that it clears the little star icon in the browser, however it
doesn't write a copy out to the file system.

This means I often forget to save packages I've changed and if I'm sending a
copy to someone it can be out of date.

Is there an easy way to get this functionality? I guess as there are two
ways of working - its hard to say whats best to use. I almost think it
should save both copies (or be configurable to do this?)

Tim

Re: Any good hack for Saving both in STS and to file system?

Chris Uppal-3
TimM wrote
:
> I've noticed that if you save changes in STS (package -> changes -> save
> edition) that it clears the little star icon in the browser, however it
> doesn't write a copy out to the file system.
>
> This means I often forget to save packages I've changed and if I'm
> sending a copy to someone it can be out of date.

I mentioned exactly the same problem with using STS a couple of months back.

It thinks that the change flag is there for recording whether stuff has been
versioned, /I/ think its there for telling whether stuff has been saved out.
My own workaround is to version stuff /only/ through one of my own tools (which
does package-related things), where it lets STS version the packages and then
sets the changed flag on all of them.

An alternative approach would be to find the place where STS clears the changed
flag and stomp on it.

Better still would be for packages to maintain a last-changed-at value (in
addition to the saved flag), and for STS to use that in deciding whether a
package was in need of versioning.  Not an entirely trivial change, though, to
either the Package system or the STS core, and it's not something I'd try to
hack in myself.

    -- chris