Any gotchas if I move from VW/Seasid to Squeak/Seaside?e

Any gotchas if I move from VW/Seasid to Squeak/Seaside?e

Rick Flower
Hi all...

I've currently got an webapp using VW, Glorp, Seaside and whatnot that
was recently moved over to FreeBSD from Linux and I'm having problems
with VW running under Linux compatability mode.. In the off chance
that I can't find a solution, a backup plan might be in order --
specifically moving over to Squeak...  Are there any gotchas I need to
know if I go that route?

Obviously I won't do this unless I've run out of options but thought
I'd ask regardless... Thanks!

RE: Any gotchas if I move from VW/Seasid to Squeak/Seaside?e

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
What do you mean by compatibility mode? VisualWorks has a native Linux
VM.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Any gotchas if I move from VW/Seasid to Squeak/Seaside?e

Rick Flower
Correct... But I'm not running under Linux anymore.. I'm using FreeBSD
which has a binary compatability mode that it can use (since there is
no native FreeBSD version of VW)...

On Mar 27, 2009, at 2:44 PM, "Boris Popov" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What do you mean by compatibility mode? VisualWorks has a native Linux
> VM.
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header.
> Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private
> and
> confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the
> sender
> and delete the entire message including any attachments.
>
> Thank you.

David Mitchell-10
Glorp on Squeak is not current with VW Glorp.

Squeak Glorp only works with Postgres.

People are working on both of the above.

You may be relying on VW-isms in your code. If you've coded your app
using the same guidelines as the Seaside team, you'll have less
trouble porting.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I've currently got an webapp using VW, Glorp, Seaside and whatnot that was
> recently moved over to FreeBSD from Linux and I'm having problems with VW
> running under Linux compatability mode.. In the off chance that I can't find
> a solution, a backup plan might be in order -- specifically moving over to
> Squeak...  Are there any gotchas I need to know if I go that route?
>
> Obviously I won't do this unless I've run out of options but thought I'd ask
> regardless... Thanks!

Re: Any gotchas if I move from VW/Seasid to Squeak/Seaside?e

Rick Flower
Thanks.. Glorp was one of the areas I was concerned about, but since
I'm using Postgres, then perhaps it isn't too bad...as long as I'm not
doing odd stuff...

Actually, in my case I've ported some stuff from squeak (including
SentorsaForm & MGConnection pool), so I'm hoping it won't be too bad
for most areas...  Thanks!