Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Bill Erickson

We are currently investigating Android OS support for GemStone/64.  The long-range goal would be to provide extensions to the GBJ product to allow Android developers to build smartphone and tablet apps that can access remote GemStone repositories, developing in java using the Android SDK and GBJ.

As a proof-of-concept we currently have early beta versions of gslist and topaz that run within the Android terminal app, and an alpha version of the GBJ extensions that have been demonstrated to work on a simple Android SDK app that can login and execute simple smalltalk statements.

If you're interested in this work and have any comments/suggestions on how you would use GBJ/Android, or have ideas on what you would like to see in a GemStone smartphone/tablet app, please respond to this thread and I'll add you to our distribution list to keep you informed of further developments.

Regards,

Re: Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Martin Karpisek
Hi Bill,
I am interested In this work and would like to follow further development.
Could you please add me to distribution list?
Thanks
Martin Karpisek

Dne pátek, 20. července 2012, William Erickson <[hidden email]> napsal(a):

> We are currently investigating Android OS support for GemStone/64.  The long-range goal would be to provide extensions to the GBJ product to allow Android developers to build smartphone and tablet apps that can access remote GemStone repositories, developing in java using the Android SDK and GBJ.
>
> As a proof-of-concept we currently have early beta versions of gslist and topaz that run within the Android terminal app, and an alpha version of the GBJ extensions that have been demonstrated to work on a simple Android SDK app that can login and execute simple smalltalk statements.
>
> If you're interested in this work and have any comments/suggestions on how you would use GBJ/Android, or have ideas on what you would like to see in a GemStone smartphone/tablet app, please respond to this thread and I'll add you to our distribution list to keep you informed of further developments.
>
> Regards,

Re: Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Thierry Thelliez
Hello,

Could you please add me to the list?  I have a project coming involving QRCodes to be scanned on smartphones querying possibly GemStone on the backend.  But I must say that iOS will be a must as well as Android…

Thanks,
Thierry Thelliez

From: Martin Karpisek <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, July 20, 2012 1:01 PM
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GemStone-Smalltalk] Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Hi Bill,
I am interested In this work and would like to follow further development.
Could you please add me to distribution list?
Thanks
Martin Karpisek

Dne pátek, 20. července 2012, William Erickson <[hidden email]> napsal(a):

> We are currently investigating Android OS support for GemStone/64.  The long-range goal would be to provide extensions to the GBJ product to allow Android developers to build smartphone and tablet apps that can access remote GemStone repositories, developing in java using the Android SDK and GBJ.
>
> As a proof-of-concept we currently have early beta versions of gslist and topaz that run within the Android terminal app, and an alpha version of the GBJ extensions that have been demonstrated to work on a simple Android SDK app that can login and execute simple smalltalk statements.
>
> If you're interested in this work and have any comments/suggestions on how you would use GBJ/Android, or have ideas on what you would like to see in a GemStone smartphone/tablet app, please respond to this thread and I'll add you to our distribution list to keep you informed of further developments.
>
> Regards,

Re: Any interest in GemStone/Android?

johnmci
have you thought about writing a interface for Apple's Core Data?

Re: Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Bill Erickson

> have you thought about writing a interface for Apple's Core Data?

Not really.  Android was initially selected due to internal VMware interest in the OS, plus with our existing GBJ product there was a direct path for integration into Android java.  Since iOS development is based on Objective-C there would be a much higher development cost.  Apple Core Data is more of a high-level development framework and not really appropriate at this level of integration.

Regards,
Bill Erickson

Re: Any interest in GemStone/Android?

Michael Latta
I agree the development effort for CoreData is likely to be higher than a port of the existing GBJ capability, it does have a public repository API that could be used to connect to a GS/S server over a REST interface.  Given the limited memory and CPU of the mobile devices that would be pretty much what you want anyway.  If MagLev were supported in CloudFoundry the integration could be a pretty easy to write Rails or Sinatra app.

Michael