Any plans for an ENVY/STORE like feature in Dolphin ?

Any plans for an ENVY/STORE like feature in Dolphin ?

Spam
Dolphin is an excellent Smalltalk. However I feel the lack of a team
collaboration/versioning system like ENVY or STORE is a big issue.
It is certainly stopping my company from considering Dolphin as a
replacement for VSE.

Are there any plans to add such a feature to Dolphin in the not too
distant future ?

Spam

Re: Any plans for an ENVY/STORE like feature in Dolphin ?

Ian Bartholomew-18
Spam,

> Are there any plans to add such a feature to Dolphin in the not too
> distant future ?

There is a Source Tracking System for Dolphin that is used by a lot of
people.  I've included the update announcement that David Gorisek made
(June 2002) but you should check his web site for further details.

There are (were) also some attempts at using Dolphin's pax package
format to interface with file based source control systems (RCS and the
Microsoft-program-whose-name-I-can't-remember spring to mind) but I'm
not sure what the current state of those attempts are?

--
Ian

Hello

I have released version 3.0 of the Source Tracking System for Dolphin
Smalltalk 5.0/XP. STS is a multi-user source code configuration
management
system that extends the development environment with
project/package/class
and method versioning and change tracking functionality. Using object
oriented database OmniBase it lets multiple Dolphin Smalltalk developers
share the same code repository to exchange and merge their code.

Version 3.0 now works with Dolphin 5.0/XP and adds some new features in
the
field of interoperability with other Smalltalk dialects. Apart from
importing Dolphin packages it is now also possible to import VisualWorks
parcel source files (.pst) as well as VisualAge Smalltalk ENVY
application
file-outs (.app) directly into STS repository. This code can then be
loaded
from the repository in the same way as a regular Dolphin package.
Porting
code to Dolphin has never been easier as it is with STS.

More information about STS can be found on the following web site:

http://www.gorisek.com

Best regards,

David Gorisek

Re: Any plans for an ENVY/STORE like feature in Dolphin ?

David Gorisek-5
There already is an ENVY like system for Dolphin.

Check-out our web page at http://www.gorisek.com

The screen shots are not up-to-date (to say at least) since our web page is
being reconstructed so let me list the latest features which were added in
the 3.2 version of STS for Dolphin XP.

- much improved code comparison browser
- interoperability features like:
* direct import of VisualWorks parcels
* direct import of VAST applications
* ability to export VisualWorks change set files from the comparison browser
- better merge functionality
- purging of unused package, class and method editions from the repository

If you are migrating from VSE we can also add a feature for direct import of
TEAM/V .PKG package exports into STS repository. This way you can directly
port VSE package into Dolphin package and partially load the code from
repository leaving the non-portable code for porting it later. STS can also
help you in the migration phase for comparing code in Dolphin with the code
in VSE. We use STS internally for keeping all our code in-sync between
dialects.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

news:[hidden email]...