Any utility to allow changing the default (background) color in the browser,etc?

Any utility to allow changing the default (background) color in the browser,etc?

Rick Flower
I'm currently using the X11 version of VW under Linux and find that it
works great, but I believe (for me anyway) that it would be much better
if I could rid myself of the gray background and have color highlighting
that has more contrast (to me) -- personally I'd love a black
background..  I saw a write up from 2001 from Boris that detailed (in
great length) the steps needed to override the colors -- but that was
for VW2..  Has anyone written a utility or similar in the past few years
that addresses this?  Ideally it would be best served if it was part of
the settings panel, but anything would be great..

Many thanks in advance!

.Xresources (1K) Download Attachment

RE: Any utility to allow changing the default (background) color in the browser,etc?

Stew MacLean

I've wanted to do this as well (but not black!). After a brief
investigation I came to the conclusion that the background colors are
obtained from the operating system, not the look preferences.

To achieve the effect on a per ApplicationModel basis (unfortunately not
system wide), I set the background colors in:

postOpenWith: aBuilder
        "This is ugly, as default window background colour is obtained
from the operating system,
        not the default window look preferences.
        (see LookPreferences widgetPolicy windowLookPreferences).
        Note: doesn't work within postBuildWith:"

        | lookPreferences |

        super postOpenWith: aBuilder.

        lookPreferences := builder window lookPreferences
backgroundColor: self backgroundColor.
        builder window lookPreferences: lookPreferences

It's a pity that this can't be achieved using the underlying platform
look architecture :(

Cheers,

Stewart

Stewart MacLean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've wanted to do this as well (but not black!). After a brief

[ ... ]

Thanks Stewart & Steven.. I'll check them both out.. I wasn't sure if I
could do what I wanted w/ xrdb or not.. I guess that question is
answered and is likely the direction I'll use.. Thanks again!