Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Chris Uppal-3
I'm been playing around with the Win32 stuff for representing numbers and
currency in a localised form.  It now has a proper TypeConverter which can do
two way conversions of various kinds of numbers into various representations.

I'll put it onto my main website in due course, but I thought I'd ask if anyone
cared to test it for me.  Obviously, I can test it here, but my machine (fonts,
default locale, etc) are all set up for "English (UK)", but it would be nice to
know about any problems on machines with different setups, or when the output
is viewed through eyes that actually know what the locale's number /should/
look like ;-)

So I've put the package itself, plus a small demo GUI shell, on the web at

    http://ephemera.metagnostic.org/code/LNT.zip

4 packages (one duplicated from my proper website), totalling a 30K zip file.

Load package 'CU Localised Number Example' and (after checking for malicious
code) try:

    LocalizedNumberExampleShell show.

Unfortunately that won't work on D6, because the changes to LayoutManager have
broken my FormLayout, which the test GUI uses, but the rest of the code should
work OK, including the example expressions in the package comment for 'CU
Localised Numbers'.

There's a screen shot of what the test app /should/ look like here:

    http://ephemera.metagnostic.org/code/LNT.png

Please let me know if you find problems, incorrect cultural assumptions (by me,
I mean, not the ones built into Windows), or have suggestions.

Thanks in advance

    -- chris

Re: Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Janos Kazsoki
Chris,

it works fine in German (Germany) and Hungarian locals.

It works fine.

Regards,
Janos

Re: Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Chris Uppal-3
> it works fine in German (Germany) and Hungarian locals.

Thank you, Janos.

I wrote:

> Unfortunately that won't work on D6, because the changes to LayoutManager
> have broken my FormLayout, which the test GUI uses, [...]

I've added an alternative version of 'CU Form Layout.pac' to the zipfile which
/seems/ to work under D6.

It's just a hack and probably not done right (I have little idea what these
changes to LayoutManager are supposed to do, or how they are supposed to work
together), but it's good enough for the test GUI to run in D6.

    -- chris

Re: Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Joseph Frippiat-2
Chris,

I tested in D6 with the locale "French (Belgium)" and it works.

The text "User default locale" is not displayed in the list presenter, I
presume it's related to the bug you described about the text not
displayed for the nil item.

Joseph

Re: Anyone fancy testing some code for displaying localised numnbers ?

Chris Uppal-3
Joseph,

> I tested in D6 with the locale "French (Belgium)" and it works.

Thank you.

> The text "User default locale" is not displayed in the list presenter, I
> presume it's related to the bug you described about the text not
> displayed for the nil item.

Yes indeed -- that's where I first noticed that bug ;-)

    -- chris