Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Dennis smith-4

( Windows 7 and Windows XP)

Every so often (on more often lately) I save an image and try and start it
and the splash screen comes up and nothing else.

The only thing that will interrupt it is task-manager.

It was suggested that I be sure to disconnect from Store before saving.
It now disconnects and waits 2 seconds before saving.

This helped for a while, but the latest was
     - last night I updated/loaded from Store
     - saved the image -- would not start
     - rebuilt from the ground up (loading from Store)
     - today (15 hours later), having saved and restarted a dozen or
more times,
         the image suddenly would not start
     - I retrieved a copy from earlier today and re-ran changes file and
its OK
         (for now)

Anyone seen this??

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Dennis,

For what it's worth, I'd never seen anything like this here and my
images are often saved while connected to Store, which means a
connection prompt comes up when I start it up.

-Boris

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Steven Kelly
Like Boris, I've never seen this, and my dev images are always connected
to Store. I'm mostly in our local SQL Server Store, but sometimes save
mistakenly while connected to the Postgres public Store.

I imagine starting one of those dead images with a debug VM and the
option to log message sends to standard out would shed some light on the
problem.

Steve

Martin McClure-3
I haven't seen that, and also usually save images connected to Store
(PostgreSQL on LAN).

I'd probably attach to the hung process with a C debugger and attempt to
dump stacks. Details on how to do this used to be on the UIUC wiki --
has that information been published elsewhere?

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Alan Knight-2
As an aside, a 7.7 image won't by default start with a splash screen.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Dennis smith-4
7.7? or 7.7.1?

My 7.7 .im file when clicked starts with a splash screen???

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Dennis smith-4
If it gets that far I will ship it to cincom and let them look a it.

It does appear to be a known problem and one thing I did NOT do that you are
supposed to is to turn off the auto-reconnect or "ask reconnect" in
settings.

I have done that now too -- I will see what happens.

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Alan Knight-2
The base image, when dragged onto a VM, or when double-clicked with my
setup, does not have a splash screen. You can re-enable it with an image
setting, but it's off by default, and has been, I believe, since 7.5.
Are you turning it back on? If not, maybe this is part of your issue.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com

Debugging a VM crash or hang

Steven Kelly
Re: [vwnc] Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?
Martin McClure wrote:
> I'd probably attach to the hung process with a C debugger and attempt to
> dump stacks. Details on how to do this used to be on the UIUC wiki --
> has that information been published elsewhere?
From bin\win\readme.txt:

I just neatened that up a little (all line breaks had been doubled). I also added a section on WinDBG, with thanks to Andres Valloud for showing me the ropes.

Share and enjoy,
Steve

Re: Debugging a VM crash or hang

Martin McClure-3

On 2/24/11, Martin McClure wrote:

> On 02/23/11 23:30, Steven Kelly wrote:
> > Martin McClure wrote:
> >> I'd probably attach to the hung process with a C debugger and
> >> attempt to dump stacks. Details on how to do this used to be on
> >> the UIUC wiki - has that information been published elsewhere?
> >
> > From bin\win\readme.txt:
> > http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VM+Info
> >
> > I just neatened that up a little (all line breaks had been doubled).
> > I also added a section on WinDBG, with thanks to Andres Valloud for
> > showing me the ropes.
>
> Thanks! Is the note at the top about being "not fully up to date as of
> October 2008" still true?

Looks like there was a pretty comprehensive update 2009/10/07. The debug
facilities probably don't change much, but maybe as part of the 7.8
release Cincom could check the page and remove the note.

Steve

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Hello All,
I have seen this a lot lately.  especially with the  7.7 images saved on
the win 7 (64 bit).

here is the solution which might help -- try to increase the amount of
memory available to smalltalk process on the command line,
  something like following:

vwnt.exe -z 20m  -h 100m  YourBadNonStartingImage.im

also it seem that using vwnt.exe  V.S. visual.exe helps as well.

Alan Knight wrote:

> The base image, when dragged onto a VM, or when double-clicked with my
> setup, does not have a splash screen. You can re-enable it with an image
> setting, but it's off by default, and has been, I believe, since 7.5.
> Are you turning it back on? If not, maybe this is part of your issue.
>
> On 2011-02-23 7:10 PM, Dennis Smith wrote:
>
>> 7.7? or 7.7.1?
>>
>> My 7.7 .im file when clicked starts with a splash screen???
>>
>> On Feb 23/11 7:00 PM, Alan Knight wrote:
>>
>>> As an aside, a 7.7 image won't by default start with a splash screen.

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Alan Knight-2
So, if you see this, what sort of error do you get when starting it, if
any? And if you run it with something like -o10s, what does it produce?

I seem to be able to run a batch file that starts up a simple image and
files in a command to wait a couple of seconds and save it a hundred
times on Win7-64 with no problems. The memory issue suggests there might
be a problem with the initial headroom or something of that nature. That
might easily only manifest if the image had more stuff. Have either of
you tried it with a 7.7.1 or a 7.8 pre-release, either with an image, or
using a more recent VM on an existing image that had this issue.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Dennis smith-4
Helps that someone else is seeing this too.
Your workaround fixed my specific case -- thank you.

On Feb 25/11 4:33 PM, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have seen this a lot lately.  especially with the  7.7 images saved on
> the win 7 (64 bit).
>
> here is the solution which might help -- try to increase the amount of
> memory available to smalltalk process on the command line,
>    something like following:
>

> vwnt.exe -z 20m  -h 100m  YourBadNonStartingImage.im
>
> also it seem that using vwnt.exe  V.S. visual.exe helps as well.
>

> Alan Knight wrote:
>> The base image, when dragged onto a VM, or when double-clicked with my
>> setup, does not have a splash screen. You can re-enable it with an image
>> setting, but it's off by default, and has been, I believe, since 7.5.
>> Are you turning it back on? If not, maybe this is part of your issue.
>>
>> On 2011-02-23 7:10 PM, Dennis Smith wrote:
>>
>>> 7.7? or 7.7.1?
>>>
>>> My 7.7 .im file when clicked starts with a splash screen???

Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Andres Valloud-6
The condition is mentioned in the documentation.  Using -h (or, even
better, -m6) should fix the problem.

On 2/25/2011 3:19 PM, Dennis Smith wrote:

> Helps that someone else is seeing this too.
> Your workaround fixed my specific case -- thank you.
>

> On Feb 25/11 4:33 PM, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I have seen this a lot lately.  especially with the  7.7 images saved on
>> the win 7 (64 bit).
>>
>> here is the solution which might help -- try to increase the amount of
>> memory available to smalltalk process on the command line,
>>     something like following:
>>

>> vwnt.exe -z 20m  -h 100m  YourBadNonStartingImage.im
>>
>> also it seem that using vwnt.exe  V.S. visual.exe helps as well.
>>

>> Alan Knight wrote:
>>> The base image, when dragged onto a VM, or when double-clicked with my
>>> setup, does not have a splash screen. You can re-enable it with an image
>>> setting, but it's off by default, and has been, I believe, since 7.5.
>>> Are you turning it back on? If not, maybe this is part of your issue.

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Dennis smith-4
When a bad image starts I get nothing, just the splash screen and .wav
file sound, then nothing.
Its not far enough along to let me use CTRL+SHIFT+Y or other to see
where it is.

I did get a -o10s trace which I sent to support -- and Mark's workaround
at least gets me going
for now.

I will read over all the associated documentation and notes over the
weekend -- thanks to everyone!

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Andres Valloud-6
Also, use -xq and see if you get a stack.txt file...

On 2/25/2011 4:34 PM, Dennis Smith wrote:

> When a bad image starts I get nothing, just the splash screen and .wav
> file sound, then nothing.
> Its not far enough along to let me use CTRL+SHIFT+Y or other to see
> where it is.
>
> I did get a -o10s trace which I sent to support -- and Mark's workaround
> at least gets me going
> for now.
>
> I will read over all the associated documentation and notes over the
> weekend -- thanks to everyone!
>
> On Feb 25/11 5:12 PM, Alan Knight wrote:
>> So, if you see this, what sort of error do you get when starting it, if
>> any? And if you run it with something like -o10s, what does it produce?
>>
>> I seem to be able to run a batch file that starts up a simple image and
>> files in a command to wait a couple of seconds and save it a hundred
>> times on Win7-64 with no problems. The memory issue suggests there might
>> be a problem with the initial headroom or something of that nature. That
>> might easily only manifest if the image had more stuff. Have either of
>> you tried it with a 7.7.1 or a 7.8 pre-release, either with an image, or
>> using a more recent VM on an existing image that had this issue.
>>
>> On 2011-02-25 4:33 PM, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>> I have seen this a lot lately.  especially with the  7.7 images saved
>>> on the win 7 (64 bit).
>>>
>>> here is the solution which might help -- try to increase the amount of
>>> memory available to smalltalk process on the command line,
>>>    something like following:
>>>

>>> vwnt.exe -z 20m  -h 100m  YourBadNonStartingImage.im
>>>
>>> also it seem that using vwnt.exe  V.S. visual.exe helps as well.

Re: Anyone have 7.7 images that won't start?

Alan Knight-2
This might be related to an issue fixed in 7.7.1, where you could run
out of memory on startup because TimerSystem, which runs during early
system startup, and thus at priority 100, used a couple of shared
variable initializers. Those can force a modifySystem:, which generates
garbage, which is not such a good idea when the garbage collector can't
run yet, and were replaced with explicit initializations. That was AR
58772. However, increasing the memory preallocated at startup should
provide a reasonable workaround.