Anyone knows why Sophie was migrated from Squeak/Smalltalk to Java?

Anyone knows why Sophie was migrated from Squeak/Smalltalk to Java?

Offray

Re: Anyone knows why Sophie was migrated from Squeak/Smalltalk to Java?

Igor Stasenko
On 22 June 2011 19:27, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm searching for inspiration about my Pharo project (I want to make
> something like Prezi[1]). So I was revisiting the Sophie project pages
> and an old question came back: Why Sophie was migrated from
> Squeak/Smalltalk to Java? Anyone could help me with the answers?

Short answer: because smalltalk is not mainstream language.

(heh... i know the guy who can give you an extended answer, with a
lots of explanations what he thinks gone wrong with Sophie
and why management choosen to migrate to java).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Fwd: Anyone knows why Sophie was migrated from Squeak/Smalltalk to Java?

Igor Stasenko
On 22 June 2011 19:27, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm searching for inspiration about my Pharo project (I want to make
> something like Prezi[1]). So I was revisiting the Sophie project pages
> and an old question came back: Why Sophie was migrated from
> Squeak/Smalltalk to Java? Anyone could help me with the answers?

Short answer: because smalltalk is not mainstream language.

(heh... i know the guy who can give you an extended answer, with a
lots of explanations what he thinks gone wrong with Sophie
and why management choosen to migrate to java).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Anyone knows why Sophie was migrated from Squeak/Smalltalk to Java?

I know that several of guys too :)
        - politics
        - venture capitalists
        - Java has good and better widgets so difficult to fight
        - problem with management in the project (not from the programmers)
        - when I think I went to sofia to teach them oop..... oh man. What idiot I was.

lot more a sad story.

Now if we would all join effort to push a decent looking open-source smalltalk with good widgets
and good properties (nice xxx framweorks, small image, C integration, better tools, connexion with DB....) then we would all cooler and
our projects would get a chance not to be rewritten in Java.

Stef