Anyone using Glorp (or ROE or ?) w/ MySQL?

Anyone using Glorp (or ROE or ?) w/ MySQL?

Rick Flower
Hi all again.. I'm hoping I'm not too off topic here with my questions (please let me know if I am!).
Anyway, I've switched over to trying out VW (non-commercial) in the hopes that the MySQL driver
is in better shape.. Anyway, after playing around with that combination I finally came to the conclusion
that Glorp 0.4.4 doesn't really have support for MySQL (other than a placeholder).. Has anyone tried
fixing Glorp to work with it or used some other equivalent sort of package (ROE?) with MySQL with success?

In reviewing the O-R mapping sorts of layers (for lack of a better term), they make things look really
nice and I'd love to use one but I'd prefer to use it with MySQL if possible.. If nobody has GLORP working
with it, perhaps MySQL 4.x would work with ROE as an alternative?  I don't know much about ROE unfortuantely
other than what I read on Avi's blog if I recall.

While switching over to Postgres wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd rather not re-host my existing code
and tools to use that if I don't absolutely have to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-- Rick

Re: Anyone using Glorp (or ROE or ?) w/ MySQL?

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 21, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Rick F. wrote:

> In reviewing the O-R mapping sorts of layers (for lack of a better
> term), they make things look really
> nice and I'd love to use one but I'd prefer to use it with MySQL if
> possible.. If nobody has GLORP working
> with it, perhaps MySQL 4.x would work with ROE as an alternative?
> I don't know much about ROE unfortuantely
> other than what I read on Avi's blog if I recall.

ROE relies very heavily on subselects, which makes me think that
using it with MySQL would probably be a bit painful - I know that
recent versions of MySQL do support subselects to some degree, but I
don't think they're optimized anywhere near to the level that they
are in Postgres.

Avi