App streaming with Snowglobe

Craig Latta

Hi--

     Running a Squeak app is as easy as playing an online video...

     https://tinyurl.com/hblwdr2 (blog.thiscontext.com)

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: App streaming with Snowglobe

askoh
Administrator
Good job. Snowglobe reminds me of Croquet with TeaTime where distributed images communicate in a peer to peer fashion to replicate computation to simulate a virtual world. Perhaps there is something to borrow from Croquet.

So, the goal is to create Smalltalk apps that just run on the browser?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: App streaming with Snowglobe

timrowledge

> On 31-10-2016, at 9:31 PM, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, the goal is to create Smalltalk apps that just run on the browser?

If I remember correctly, Craig is being even cleverer than that. Start in JS in a browser, download Cog if appropriate, download image and start running locally. All seamlessly. With massive buzzword compliance to draw in the hipsters and suck them into our world.

And if that isn’t it, then it should be :-)

tim
Semalina - a  system of signalling with pudding.

     Aik-Siong writes:

> So, the goal is to create Smalltalk apps that just run on the browser?

     Tim responds:

> If I remember correctly, Craig is being even cleverer than that.
> Start in JS in a browser, download Cog if appropriate, download image
> and start running locally. All seamlessly. With massive buzzword
> compliance to draw in the hipsters and suck them into our world.
>
> And if that isn’t it, then it should be :-)

     Yep, that's what it is. Except it's even more than that. :)  Once
Cog is running too, SqueakJS makes a remote-messaging connection to it,
turning the SqueakJS/Cog pair into a distributed object memory. You can
then link up with other SqueakJS/Cog pairs on other machines.

     But yes, it starts out as a way of demoing Smalltalk apps in a web
browser, without necessarily installing anything.

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital