'Apparent loop in import expansion' Pharo3

'Apparent loop in import expansion' Pharo3

riverdusty
Hi All

I downloaded Pharo3, Opened it, first thing I did was go to configuration browser, select pier3 and click "install stable version"

I then get 'Apparent loop in import expansion'
I will look into the problem and see whats causing it, but my bigger issue is that you can't have failing installs by default.
Users cannot be expected to know how to fiddle and try figure out how to fix everything when they simply want to install and use something.
Stack below:

MetacelloVersionConstructor(Object)>>error:
MetacelloVersionConstructor>>collectAllVersionsFromVersionImportPragmasInto:using:satisfiedPragmas:
MetacelloVersionConstructor>>calculate:project:
MetacelloVersionConstructor>>on:project: in Block: [ :cache | ...
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>stackCacheFor:cacheClass:at:doing: in Block: [ :dict | ...
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>useStackCacheDuring:defaultDictionary: in Block: [ ^ aBlock value: dict ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>useStackCacheDuring:defaultDictionary:
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>stackCacheFor:cacheClass:at:doing:
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>stackCacheFor:at:doing:
MetacelloVersionConstructor>>on:project:
MetacelloVersionConstructor class>>on:project:
ConfigurationOfSeaside3>>project
MetacelloMCProjectSpec>>projectClassProject
MetacelloMCProjectSpec>>version
MetacelloMCProjectSpec(MetacelloProjectSpec)>>versionOrNil in Block: [ self version ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
MetacelloMCProjectSpec(MetacelloProjectSpec)>>versionOrNil
MetacelloMCProjectSpec>>compareCurrentVersion:targetVersionStatus:using:
MetacelloMCVersionSpecLoader>>load in Block: [ :pkg | ...
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
MetacelloMCVersionSpecLoader>>load
MetacelloMCVersion>>executeLoadFromArray:
MetacelloMCVersion>>fetchRequiredFromArray: in Block: [ :dict | ^ self executeLoadFromArray: anArray ]
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>useStackCacheDuring:defaultDictionary: in Block: [ ^ aBlock value: dict ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
MetacelloPharo30Platform(MetacelloPlatform)>>useStackCacheDuring:defaultDictionary:
MetacelloMCVersion>>fetchRequiredFromArray: in Block: [ ...
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MetacelloMCVersion>>fetchRequiredFromArray: in Block: [ ...

Kind Regards
--
Gareth Cox
IT Manager/Developer

RE: 'Apparent loop in import expansion' Pharo3

Stephan Eggermont-3
Gareth wrote:
>I will look into the problem and see whats causing it, but my bigger issue is that you can't have failing installs by default.

The current design of configuration browser can not, and does not work. Configurations are not independent,
so just installing default stable results in missing packages. The well-known example is loading configurations
of Seaside and Magritte.

The manual copying of configurations from their canonical location to the metarepo is also a problem.
I've done some updates.

Stephan