Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

mmacmillan74
We are experiencing slowness when opening the Application Manager or Configuration Manager for the first time when opening an image for first time.  Subsequent openings are quick.  We us emsrv (8.5.2) on a remote server.  This server is a beefy VM with gigabit speed.

I have attached the benchmark of opening the Application Manager.  It is taking roughly 6 seconds the first time.

Can someone have a look?

Thanks,

Matthew MacMillan
Fiserv

AppManBenchLocaltime.jpg (251K) Download Attachment

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Wayne Johnston
I am Matt's teammate and mentioned this problem to him.  I hadn't seen it in earlier versions of the VA client (various versions 5.5.2 through 8.0).  All our repositories are implemented by the one instance of emsrv.  The problem was also evident before recently upgrading emsrv to 8.5.2 which we did at the same time as upgrading to a newer VM.  So it would seem it's a VA client problem...

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Bob Brodd
Hi Matt,

We have seen issues like this with very large managers  (the envy type ;-) ) .  VA Assist adds many features which when added up, can cause a noticeable delay the first time you start up a Config Map Browser or Application Browser.  As your manager gets bigger, there is much more info that has to be pulled when you first open the browser.  See if changing a few of the default VA Assist settings has a beneficial effect.  I suggest trying each one out individually :

Open a Configuration Maps Browser:
1) Editions->Show Loaded Status->None
2) Options->Enhanced List Widgets->Show Item Colors->(Uncheck) Show config map editions

Open an Applications Browser:
1) Options->Enhanced List Widgets->Show Items Colors-> (uncheck) Show Application Editions
2) Options->Enhanced List Widgets->Show Items Colors->(uncheck) Show Scratch Application Hierarchies

If you are still having issues, you can try turning off Enhanced List Widgets all together. Network latency increases can also have a significant effect when the manager is located on a remote machine, so  you might want to look into potential network issues as well.

Bob Brodd

On Monday, January 7, 2013 11:28:25 AM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:
We are experiencing slowness when opening the Application Manager or Configuration Manager for the first time when opening an image for first time.  Subsequent openings are quick.  We us emsrv (8.5.2) on a remote server.  This server is a beefy VM with gigabit speed.

I have attached the benchmark of opening the Application Manager.  It is taking roughly 6 seconds the first time.

Can someone have a look?

Thanks,

Matthew MacMillan
Fiserv

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Wayne Johnston
Thanks Bob!  This becomes interesting....

I only experimented with the Application Manager, not the config map browser.  Your two initial suggestions for the Application Manager didn't help - but turning off Enhanced List Widgets altogether completely solves the problem.

Without that option change, I thought I may be seeing the slowness only in an Application Manager that had been brought up in an image and the image saved.  That is, that I wouldn't see it when bringing up a new Application Manager in an image.  But then I have seen that too.

Another finding - despite what I wrote earlier, I have also seen the slowness in a VA 8.0.0 image's Application Manager.

Note that Matt and I have Windows 7 laptops.  In the same office, another colleague of ours on XP was not seeing the problem.  Suspecting a network problem, I plugged my laptop into the latter Ethernet connection - and still saw my usual slowness.  So it sure seems like this slowness is specific to Windows 7.

Another colleague suggested I try "Windows XP Mode" on my Windows 7 laptop.  And inside this VM kind of thing - I don't reproduce the Application Manager slowness.  So perhaps that proves the problem is not with my machine's hardware etc. but with Windows 7…

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Wayne Johnston
FYI, Bob from Instantiations supplied a new version of emsrv50.dll which magically fixed the Application Manager slowness!   I've still not experimented with the Config Map browser slowness, though that never seemed anywhere near as bad of a problem.

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Steven LaFavor
We've had some recent issues with this as well and I stumbled across this older message.  Was the emsrv50.dll ever released as part of the product, or can it be downloaded from Instantiations?

*Steve*

Re: Application Manager and Configuration Manager open slowness

Santiago Cardoso Geller-3
Does anybody know if it is also fixed for AIX emsrv?

Thanks!

Santiago