Application Manager questions

Carl Gundel-2
I don't understand why sometimes the folders in the tree view of applications in the application manager window are sometimes green, and what it means for them to have a red X on them.  Also, I have an subapplication which is rendered as name and version in purple.  It would be great if I could just float my mouse over each one and get a tooltip describing any warnings or errors.

Also, I have two subapplications.  One is a prerequisite for the other.  Somehow they have some of the same methods in them, and this causes conflicts.  What is the easiest way to remove the method definitions from one of them so that they do not conflict?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel

Re: Application Manager questions

John O'Keefe-3
Carl -

The color-coding is explained here: http://www.instantiations.com/docs/852/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=vaast/vaast-3.html. I agree about having tooltips, but we currently don't for the browsers.

John

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:23:37 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
I don't understand why sometimes the folders in the tree view of applications in the application manager window are sometimes green, and what it means for them to have a red X on them.  Also, I have an subapplication which is rendered as name and version in purple.  It would be great if I could just float my mouse over each one and get a tooltip describing any warnings or errors.

Also, I have two subapplications.  One is a prerequisite for the other.  Somehow they have some of the same methods in them, and this causes conflicts.  What is the easiest way to remove the method definitions from one of them so that they do not conflict?

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel

Re: Application Manager questions

Carl Gundel-2
John,

Thanks for the link.

I'm still stuck on the configuration issue.  Can I edit an edition of an application before loading it?  I find that I need to do this especially since loading one of my subapplications breaks the asUppercase method and then Smalltalk hangs.

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:12:02 PM UTC-4, John O'Keefe wrote:
[...]

jtuchel
Hi Carl,

there's no way to edit code that's not loaded. You can change prereqs and stuff, but you cannot change smalltalk code outside of the image. You can however, keep vast from exiting a load when a method doesn't compile. The settings. Look for implementors of cancelIfMethodsDoNotCompile: and cancelIfMethodsCollide: (I have no VAST image at hand right now) and set it to false before loading your code. This will usually have the effect that your application is loaded without the broken methods. VAST will also provide some info about load problems in the Transcript.
The application will be a scratch edition, so you can just create a new edition, version it and it will be good. At least in many cases. Of course you can do whatever is needed to solve the problem before versioning.

The settings I mention are at least also included in the settings workspace (together with some comments) and I think also in the preferences window (no, we won't start a discussion about this confusion, Instantiations is working on making life easier here).

Don't forget to switch back to cancelling loads once you're done. You usually want to be safe.

Please feel free to ask if this is not what you were looking for.

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 26. März 2013 19:33:22 UTC+1 schrieb Carl Gundel:
[...]

Joachim,

I solved the problem by loading an earlier edition of the subapplication which did not have the conflicting code.  I can work from there.

The actual message that was getting was confusing.  Something to the effect of "You must load subapplication x because someone has added subapplication x to application y."

I couldn't figure out how to un-add subapplication x to application y.

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel