Application "internationalization"

Griff-2
Hi folks,

In Dolphin 6, how do you normally go about making an application run
with the users desired language (aka internationalization) ?

pax

Re: Application "internationalization"

pax
Griff,

run a search with keyword "International" in the dolphin ng and you
should get about 24 hits for the topic. Basically, some of the threads
speak to the use of "Translation Objects" that can perform translation
on the fly for Views and Dialogs.

Other threads focus on creating custom DLLs that externalize the
strings used in the application. The user selects their language and
based on this selection, a specific DLL will be opened containing the
proper language strings used to populate static text and labels for
views and dialogs. Of course, this requires translation of the default
or "Native Language" strings of the application.

One additional thread spoke of dealing with menus and menu items for
language translation.

Hope that helps.

Pax

Re: Application "internationalization"

Sebastián Sastre
Hi,

   now I'm using a customized way to define context menues and menu
bars, so each presenter can have it definited in a private method. I
found it far more simple and convenient than to be part of the resource
view. For example you can make the definition to be sensible to any
presenter instVar state (just to start).

  In my case, when the user makes the login, the application
recompilates the methods changing the literals that
anApplicationTranslation has defined to be replaced to reach certain
language.

  It has some limitations (for instance it cannot translate anything
you have persisted in another language into the repository) but is
useful enough by now.

  regards,

Sebastian