Aragon Widgets

Arden-8
Dear VisualWorks developers;

Aragon widgets are an aging contributed item and I want to gauge the amount of use and interest customers and developers have in them.

Questions;

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

If yes, what version of VisualWorks, what widgets, and what features necessitate your using them.

Please keep the conversation constructive.   Thanks!

Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: Aragon Widgets

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Arden,

We use a few EnhancedActionButtons and NewDataSets in 7.8, but could make do without if they went away in 7.10 or 7.9.1. I’m assuming you’re only asking about Aragon Widgets, not any of the other handful of Aragon parcels.

HTH,

-Boris

Re: Aragon Widgets

Terry Raymond

We use the Dataset widget. I am planning on evaluating the new Grid widget to

see if it will satisfy our needs.

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: Aragon Widgets

Rob Vens-3
I definitely use the dataset widget, in all versions of VisualWorks (up to the last), including as Holger said, some tweaks which we probably should share amongst us if they are only to enhance the framework in general. Need to be able to embed a tree column in the dataset for example.
The Grid widget in the base product should replace this, but it was not up to standards last time I checked.

On 26 jul. 2012, at 21:57, Arden Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear VisualWorks developers;

Aragon widgets are an aging contributed item and I want to gauge the amount of use and interest customers and developers have in them.

Questions;

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

If yes, what version of VisualWorks, what widgets, and what features necessitate your using them.

Please keep the conversation constructive.   Thanks!

Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: Aragon Widgets

Sean Glazier

I know that all the new dataset widgets and extensions are used at Soops and at 2 other clients I have worked for in the last few years. It is in all their production code. Soops however moved the widgets into their own packages and they maintain them and have done alot of extensions to them. SO they don't rely on Cincom to maintain them. Other customers rely on them and they also subclass their own widgets from them.

features that have been added are things like filtering columns as well as easier interface to color the cells and display other graphical objects in a particular cell including animating objects.

Kind Regards

Sean Glazier

Light yourself on Fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn!

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Arden Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear VisualWorks developers;

Aragon widgets are an aging contributed item and I want to gauge the amount of use and interest customers and developers have in them.

Questions;

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

If yes, what version of VisualWorks, what widgets, and what features necessitate your using them.

Please keep the conversation constructive.   Thanks!

Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: Aragon Widgets

Steven Kelly

Hi Arden,

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

No – we’ve considered them because of the problems with VW’s datasets and trees, but Aragon’s unsupported and unmaintained status made us stick to base VW widgets. We’ve tried to fix problems we encounter in VW’s widgets and pass those fixes on via support. At least with the base widgets there’s a hope of those improvements benefitting others, whereas with Aragon’s owner disappearing it sounds like most people have to keep their fixes and improvements to themselves, to avoid risking a) messing things up for others and b) effectively taking on the task of maintaining and supporting Aragon widgets for all VW users.

Thanks for asking!

Steve

Re: Aragon Widgets

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Steven makes a good point. Unless Cincom had officially taken over support for these contributed parcels at some point, no one should really be surprised/upset if they break or disappear in 7.10 or even sooner. I have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t 100% functional in 7.8(.1) already if you start digging into things.

-Boris

Re: Aragon Widgets

Ulli Wenk
if it would disappear:

1) we have to change a large quantity of Dataset-Specs (we use NewDataSets )
2) we have to change some visibility functions (sort , read-only, which cell is selected first, tabbing, highlighting in case of failure input...)
3) we have to explain to our customers why the GUI of  "tables" is now so strange and dirty  (Aragon looks more native in Windows than all I have seen before from Cincom-Datasets)
4) we have to re-implement some extensions (icons, calendar, reference/links  in each cell) and functionalities (error handling, dynamically adding+removing columns by the user in his actual view, settings by the user which columns he personally wants to see each time he opens a certain "table")
Or we have to support yourself and make the migration the Aragon sources to every new VW version.

Instead of canceling it would be better to support the Aragon widgets.

regards, Ulli

27.07.2012 13:24, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs:

Steven makes a good point. Unless Cincom had officially taken over support for these contributed parcels at some point, no one should really be surprised/upset if they break or disappear in 7.10 or even sooner. I have a sneaking suspicion they aren’t 100% functional in 7.8(.1) already if you start digging into things.

-Boris

Re: Aragon Widgets

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Ulli,

I wasn’t saying it disappearing would be a welcome sight for all, I was simply pointing out the fact that Cincom bears no responsibility for maintaining third-party code in the first place, hence this thread being a bit of a surprise. Now that there is some evidence of it being actively used for reasons X, Y and Z, it may be a good idea for Cincom to focus on bringing X, Y and Z features into stock widgets and abandon Aragon.

-Boris

Re: Aragon Widgets

Josef Springer
Hello Thomas,

other point: We are using Aragon-ODBC in the BPM-Suite OfficeTalk. Unfortunatly Aragon-ODBC does not support UNICODE.
Signature

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,
Josef Springer
(Geschäftsleitung/Management)

Postal
Address
[hidden email]
Orlando-di-Lasso Str. 2
D-85640 Putzbrunn
Phone
Office
+49 (0)89 600 6920

Phone Fax
+49 (0)89 600 69220

Web
Web
http://www.joops.com

JOOPS
(HRB München 86239)

-- the software company --

Arden Thomas wrote:
Dear VisualWorks developers;

Aragon widgets are an aging contributed item and I want to gauge the amount of use and interest customers and developers have in them.

Questions;

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

If yes, what version of VisualWorks, what widgets, and what features necessitate your using them.

Please keep the conversation constructive.   Thanks!

Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: Aragon Widgets

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
VisualWorks' own ODBC EXDI supports Unicode, by the way.

-Boris

On 2012-07-28, at 4:29, "Josef Springer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Thomas,

other point: We are using Aragon-ODBC in the BPM-Suite OfficeTalk. Unfortunatly Aragon-ODBC does not support UNICODE.
Signature

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,
Josef Springer
(Geschäftsleitung/Management)

<Postal.jpg>
Address
[hidden email]
Orlando-di-Lasso Str. 2
D-85640 Putzbrunn
<Phone.jpg>
Office
+49 (0)89 600 6920

<Phone.jpg> Fax
+49 (0)89 600 69220

<Web.jpg>
Web
http://www.joops.com

<Image120.jpg>
(HRB München 86239)

-- the software company --

Arden Thomas wrote:
Dear VisualWorks developers;

Aragon widgets are an aging contributed item and I want to gauge the amount of use and interest customers and developers have in them.

Questions;

Do you use Aragon widgets in a production application?

If yes, what version of VisualWorks, what widgets, and what features necessitate your using them.

Please keep the conversation constructive.   Thanks!

Arden Thomas

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: Aragon Widgets

Josef Springer
Hello Boris,

but the Lens does not support ODBC EXDI

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs wrote:
VisualWorks' own ODBC EXDI supports Unicode, by the way.

-Boris

Tree column in dataset

Steven Kelly

Is there anything available for VW that supports a tree as the first column of a dataset/table? Today a client has presented us with a requirement that would need that kind of widget. As far as I can tell, this isn’t available in VW’s Table, Dataset or Grid, nor in Aragon’s Tree or Dataset widgets – but Rob mentioned below having something like that.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Tree column in dataset

Steven Kelly

To partially answer my own question: the Aragon Dataset does allow this, as shown in Aragon.Examples NdsFileBrowser. Oddly, this useful ability seems not to be mentioned in the documentation. Thanks to Terry Raymond for an old post that pointed this out.

Steve