Arbitrary Length (ANSI) Binary Selectors

Arbitrary Length (ANSI) Binary Selectors

Travis Griggs-3
I know not all here read blogs, that's fine, but there is one recent
post I'd like to float here for wider feedback:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/travis/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=When_Binary_is_More_than_Two&entry=3378038929

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: Arbitrary Length (ANSI) Binary Selectors

Dennis smith-4
The only one that would concern me is
    12@-45
that one I use all the time, and it might be a bit of a nuisance.
However, having said that, I suspect I would learn to live with it, but
the workarounds
don't look nice
    12@45 negated
    12@(-45)
    12@ -45      -- I guess that one is not terrible.

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: Arbitrary Length (ANSI) Binary Selectors

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
It's interesting you mention that because we just recently moved to
using a Vector class in OpenGL which uses #,

12, -45

Works naturally, but has the same problem if you write it as 12,-45 --
but that looks odd to me.

Michael

On Jan 21, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Dennis Smith wrote:

> The only one that would concern me is
>   12@-45
> that one I use all the time, and it might be a bit of a nuisance.
> However, having said that, I suspect I would learn to live with it,
> but the workarounds
> don't look nice
>   12@45 negated
>   12@(-45)
>   12@ -45      -- I guess that one is not terrible.

As noted in the blog, there's nothing stopping one from implementing:

Number @- aNumber
        ^self @ aNumber negated

--
Travis Griggs