Archive attributes

1 message Options

Archive attributes

Bill Schwab-2
Hello all,

I do conditional backups based on file time stamps, which NTFS seems to
float on top of the system time; it's simply a minor annoyance most of time,
but a big pain at time changes.  Recall that I'm seeing this only for the
second or third time, and "finally" resolved to fix it this time around.
The answer appears to be to mix archive bits with the date/time comparisons
that I've been doing all along - the archive bits alone would not be
sufficient.

The question of how to get/set the attributes then arises.  I think I've
figure that out.  One concern though is the normal attribute:

  "FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL The file has no other attributes set. This
attribute is valid only if used alone."

Is there some reason for this to exist?  So far, it looks like a really bad
design decision to add a flag that should be implied by the others being
zero, but I'd prefer not to learn the hard way on this one.  My code has a
serious kludge to interchange FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL and
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE.  Please let me know if I'm missing something
significant about the normal attribute.

Have a good one,

Bill

--