Arduino

Olivier Auverlot
Hi,

Since some weeks, I do some experimentations with an Arduino board. I search now to use my Arduino with Pharo. I have found some informations on the web but nothing seems usable or up to date for the latest versions of Pharo.

Someone have worked on this domain ? I'm interested by a firmata client protocol or why not a solution to program an Arduino directly from Pharo.

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

Re: Arduino

stepharong
Olivier

What are the topcis you investigated?

did you contact the authors?

STef

Hi,

Since some weeks, I do some experimentations with an Arduino board. I search now to use my Arduino with Pharo. I have found some informations on the web but nothing seems usable or up to date for the latest versions of Pharo.

Someone have worked on this domain ? I'm interested by a firmata client protocol or why not a solution to program an Arduino directly from Pharo.

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

Re: Arduino

Olivier Auverlot
For the moment, I just want to do a catalog of the existing solutions. The next step will be to evaluate them.

My main target is a Firmata protocol implementation usable with Pharo 5 or 6.

Le 1 mars 2017 10:33 PM, "stepharong" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Olivier

What are the topcis you investigated?

did you contact the authors?

STef

Hi,

Since some weeks, I do some experimentations with an Arduino board. I search now to use my Arduino with Pharo. I have found some informations on the web but nothing seems usable or up to date for the latest versions of Pharo.

Someone have worked on this domain ? I'm interested by a firmata client protocol or why not a solution to program an Arduino directly from Pharo.

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

Re: Arduino

Ben Coman
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM, olivier auverlot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since some weeks, I do some experimentations with an Arduino board. I search now to use my Arduino with Pharo. I have found some informations on the web but nothing seems usable or up to date for the latest versions of Pharo.
>
> Someone have worked on this domain ? I'm interested by a firmata client protocol or why not a solution to program an Arduino directly from Pharo.

Hi Olivier, You probably have a few of these references, but since you
don't mention which you have,
I'll list what I found from a quick sweep...

I read [1] that the Firmata protocol "uses the MIDI message format."

Pharo seems to have removed the MIDI related code after it forked from Squeak.
Squeak still has it. Download 5.1 from http://squeak.org/downloads/
Then go World Menu > Open > Method finder
Type midi <Enter>
and browse the code. Pharo and Squeak share a VM, so this should be
compatible with Pharo.

You'll see a few of the primitives located in classes SimpleMIDIPort
and MidiPrimTester
in the System-SerialPort package.

Note, some of the primitives that show no references/implementors in
the right-side pane,
need to be right-clicked to choose Senders to see the implementation,
since the method name is different to the pragma name.

Then there is http://www.squeaksource.com/Arduino.html
which may or may not need to MIDI code from Squeak.
This code is circa 2013 so the (optional) FFI parts may need updating
for Pharo UFFI.

There is http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~juanmanuelvallejos/gcodewithfirmata
"It is an implementation of the protocol firmata in smalltalk. And
also it contains a parsing to G code for cnc machines."

There is http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Citilab/Snap4Arduino/
circa 2014.

There is http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~JohanBriglia/ArduinoIO
circa 2016, but probably not what you want being a "Simple program to
connect easily pharo and the arduino via serial port Uses a Python
program and terminal commands via CommandShell"

There is http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~JLaval/Arduino
circa 2016, and the commits show PhratchArduino-janniklaval.9
Phratch is available here http://www.phratch.com/
Its based on Pharo 4, but seems the most current.

Reading here...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/phratch/C6IYZ-TDt50
perhaps the most efficient path would be buying Jannik an Arduino to test on
(if indeed Phratch uses the firmata protocol as you require).

cheers -ben

[1] https://github.com/firmata/protocol/blob/master/protocol.md

Re: Arduino

Olivier Auverlot
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't found all.

For the moment, I try mainly to find a usable firmata protocol.

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

perhaps the most efficient path would be buying Jannik an Arduino to test on
(if indeed Phratch uses the firmata protocol as you require).

cheers -ben

[1] https://github.com/firmata/protocol/blob/master/protocol.md

Re: Arduino

stepharong

> Hi Olivier, You probably have a few of these references, but since you
> don't mention which you have,
> I'll list what I found from a quick sweep...
>
> I read [1] that the Firmata protocol "uses the MIDI message format."
>
> Pharo seems to have removed the MIDI related code after it forked from
> Squeak.
> Squeak still has it. Download 5.1 from http://squeak.org/downloads/
> Then go World Menu > Open > Method finder
> Type midi <Enter>
> and browse the code. Pharo and Squeak share a VM, so this should be

It is in the PharoSound package
Olivier if you have a look let me know.
Thanks for the list ben!