Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

tty

Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

tty
I've used Announcements and prefer them for inter component event handling.

It's been five years since I used them in Seaside. Have they held up well?

Are they local to a session?

Does jQuery Ajax introduce issues?

Thx

Re: Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

jtuchel
Timothy,

Am 27.03.18 um 05:53 schrieb gettimothy:
I've used Announcements and prefer them for inter component event handling.

we've been using Announcements in our Seaside App for years now and apart from beginners' problems (like not unregistering properly and therefor having all kinds of strange phenomena) they serve their purpose very well. The housekeeping of subscriptions is key, you can shoot yourself in the foot easily.

It's been five years since I used them in Seaside. Have they held up well?

Are they local to a session?

No. They are local to the Announcer that you use. We use our WASession subclass. But Seaside does nothing to make Announcements local to anything. Whoever subscribes to the Announcer gets Announcements. So to some extent you can make them local to a Session by using the Session as the Announcer, but still you could forcibly register subscribers that are outside of the Session. It is your responsibility.

Does jQuery Ajax introduce issues?

Not that I know of. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything ;-)

Joachim

Thx

tty

Re: Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

tty
Joachim,

thank you..

---- On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 03:11:30 -0400 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

tty

Re: Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

tty
To flesh out my reasoning...

No. They are local to the Announcer that you use. We use our WASession subclass. But Seaside does nothing to make Announcements local to anything. Whoever subscribes to the Announcer gets Announcements. So to some extent you can make them local to a Session by using the Session as the Announcer, but still you could forcibly register subscribers that are outside of the Session. It is your responsibility.

I found an old application, and I had in fact done what you did.

I was worried that a user in HongKong would get the event from a user in Oklahoma.
This cannot happen because the Announcement is (lazy) initialized in the user's session.
The user in Oklahoma has a handle to their instance of AXAnouncer and the user in Honk Kong has a handle to theirs.

thx