Are random refactorings welcome?

melkyades
Hi all,
      Some time ago I found out that half of the time spent in opening a browser was spent in ScrollBars code (you can see it by doing TimeProfileBrowser onBlock: Object browse). So I looked at the code and as it was messy I made a big refactory and cut browser opening time a bit.

      The thing is I never submitted that code because it wasn't fully working, and as I didn't know if this kind of random refactorings were welcome I didn't take the time to finish it. I found it some days ago rotting in my filesystem.

      Then the question is, would you be willing to include the code in next iterations of pharo? I can rebase the code to make it work Pharo1.1 and send it for review.

Regards,
            Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Are random refactorings welcome?

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/7/9 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
Hi all,
      Some time ago I found out that half of the time spent in opening a browser was spent in ScrollBars code (you can see it by doing TimeProfileBrowser onBlock: Object browse). So I looked at the code and as it was messy I made a big refactory and cut browser opening time a bit.

      The thing is I never submitted that code because it wasn't fully working, and as I didn't know if this kind of random refactorings were welcome I didn't take the time to finish it. I found it some days ago rotting in my filesystem.

Of course. But do the accurate procedure: open a ticket, create a slice, and pusblish. Then people can laod it and give feedback.

See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

      Then the question is, would you be willing to include the code in next iterations of pharo? I can rebase the code to make it work Pharo1.1 and send it for review.

Not in 1.1 as it is frozen. But for sure in 1.2.

Cheers

Mariano

Regards,
            Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Are random refactorings welcome?

Javier

ideally yes now we cannot promise because may be what people produce does not fit/work/...
What I suggest is that
        - make sure that you get your code loading
        - if you have tests this is good (ok for ui forget)
        - ask for feedback for example from gary
        - did you look at CUIS because Juan optimize scrollbar for CUIS so may be this can inspire you.

Now your solution does not have to be perfect. Increment and step by step are good too.

Stef