[Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I have written a new article presenting Pharo using a list of 23 short examples.

  Elegant Pharo Code

  Beautiful & Powerful One-liners, Expressions and Snippets

  https://medium.com/@svenvc/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0

As mentioned at the end of the article, I welcome feedback, remarks, comments, alternative solutions and other examples. The idea is to create yet another way to lure people into exploring Pharo while explaining by example why we like Pharo.

Enjoy!

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo

Guy

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Guy
Sven,
I must applaud your enthusiasm and commitment to smalltalk and specifically Pharo. You are one of the dedicated people developing and enhancing the best programming language.

I have been a long time smalltalk aficionado and user but no more than an enthusiastic hobbyist.

If you are a premature baby then I perhaps display the same dedication to the cause.

If you don’t mind me poking… may I suggest the appropriate spelling

Hopefully these examples have piqued your interest

Guy

"Every thing has its own flow"

On 08 Jul 2014, at 02:45, Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven,
> I must applaud your enthusiasm and commitment to smalltalk and specifically Pharo. You are one of the dedicated people developing and enhancing the best programming language.
>
> I have been a long time smalltalk aficionado and user but no more than an enthusiastic hobbyist.
>
> If you are a premature baby then I perhaps display the same dedication to the cause.
>
> If you don’t mind me poking… may I suggest the appropriate spelling
>
> Hopefully these examples have piqued your interest

Thanks for the feedback and the correction - that was indeed a silly error ;-)

> Guy
>
> On 8/07/2014, at 10:21 am, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written a new article presenting Pharo using a list of 23 short examples.
>>
>>  Elegant Pharo Code
>>
>>  Beautiful & Powerful One-liners, Expressions and Snippets
>>
>>  https://medium.com/@svenvc/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0
>>
>> As mentioned at the end of the article, I welcome feedback, remarks, comments, alternative solutions and other examples. The idea is to create yet another way to lure people into exploring Pharo while explaining by example why we like Pharo.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Max Leske
Very cool indeed!

There’s another mistake here:

Our software development environments should be designed in such a way that they ***are*** make it easy to read and to write code for day to day tasks, for those problems that are solved.

Cheers,
Max

On 08 Jul 2014, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very cool indeed!
>
> There’s another mistake here:
>
> Our software development environments should be designed in such a way that they ***are*** make it easy to read and to write code for day to day tasks, for those problems that are solved.

Thanks, fixed.

> Cheers,
> Max
>
> On 08.07.2014, at 00:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written a new article presenting Pharo using a list of 23 short examples.
>>
>> Elegant Pharo Code
>>
>> Beautiful & Powerful One-liners, Expressions and Snippets
>>
>> https://medium.com/@svenvc/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0
>>
>> As mentioned at the end of the article, I welcome feedback, remarks, comments, alternative solutions and other examples. The idea is to create yet another way to lure people into exploring Pharo while explaining by example why we like Pharo.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

pdigonzelli1
Thanks!!!! tomorrow will be holliday in my country. I will read tomorrow.
Before the semifinal of FIFA world cup.
Go Argentina!!!!

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
IP-Solutiones SRL
Metrotec SRL
25 de Mayo 521
Email: [hidden email]
[hidden email]
Cel: 5493815982714

Enviados: Martes, 8 de Julio 2014 9:36:43
Asunto: Re: [Pharo-dev] [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

On 08 Jul 2014, at 14:18, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very cool indeed!
>
> There’s another mistake here:
>
> Our software development environments should be designed in such a way that they ***are*** make it easy to read and to write code for day to day tasks, for those problems that are solved.

Thanks, fixed.

> Cheers,
> Max
>
> On 08.07.2014, at 00:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written a new article presenting Pharo using a list of 23 short examples.
>>
>> Elegant Pharo Code
>>
>> Beautiful & Powerful One-liners, Expressions and Snippets
>>
>> https://medium.com/@svenvc/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0
>>
>> As mentioned at the end of the article, I welcome feedback, remarks, comments, alternative solutions and other examples. The idea is to create yet another way to lure people into exploring Pharo while explaining by example why we like Pharo.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

pdavidow
Very nice, except all this could be done in Ruby, also elegantly.
The Smalltalk advantage is the live image, and that's where the focus
should be.

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

kilon.alios
Ruby and Pearl look very ugly to me.

Programming languages are primarily personal preference.

Pharo advantages to me at least are far more than live image, its live coding which by the way is different from live image, the IDE tools, the factor that is all Pharo objects even when you do assembly coding inside Pharo , the libraries of course and last but not least the community.

I could name also thousands more advantages that I have found in the implementation that I really like as well others I don't. Devil , as they say, is in the details. Details are everything , generalisations have little meaning.

Lovely article Sven , keep them coming. I think Pharo would definitely benefit from a cookbook working as a database where pharo coders can use to find example code the easy way.

But even articles like this can help a lot, I just wish that there was a Pharo wiki to keep these links and see them buried in Pharo news.

PS: Sven I am making my own Pharo book called Pharo Universe where I want to put things that are not part of PBE or PFTE which can be find here https://github.com/kilon/Pharo-Universe and here https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoUniverse/ . May I have permission to use your articles as chapters for my book ?  I will fully credit you and link back to your blog posts of course :)

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very nice, except all this could be done in Ruby, also elegantly.
The Smalltalk advantage is the live image, and that's where the focus
should be.

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Paul,

On 08 Jul 2014, at 21:33, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice, except all this could be done in Ruby, also elegantly.
> The Smalltalk advantage is the live image, and that's where the focus
> should be.

I was hoping to get some discussions around this article - there is this sentence in the beginning: 'How would you tackle these problems using your favourite language ?'.

Coming back to your point, IMHO, it is very hard to explain what I find so nice about Pharo/Smalltalk: it is a combination of different elements, not one single thing. I did mention the live objects idea. Another thing that I find important is that you can look at the source code of anything very easily, effortlessly, including the implementation of all tools.

I do not know enough about Ruby to make authoritative comparisons, but since it is based on Smalltalk and Lisp, is dynamic and interactive, you obviously have a point: Ruby is in the right general area.

Personally I do *not* like Ruby's more complex syntax (the convenience aspects, the unnecessary syntactic sugar).

I also do not think a stock Ruby install/shell can do the same things as easily out of the box, but of course, Ruby will come much closer that say Java.

Sven

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

HilaireFernandes
Thanks Sven,

It is nice and helpful, I would look at it if I have the opportunity to
give a talk about Pharo while in Taiwan this summer.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://launchpad.net/istoa

On 08 Jul 2014, at 16:36, Pablo R. Digonzelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks!!!! tomorrow will be holliday in my country. I will read tomorrow.
> Before the semifinal of FIFA world cup.
> Go Argentina!!!!

I don't know which side to support: on one hand, they beat Belgium (we were not good enough, but they were not that great either) so if our neighbours beat them that would be nice, but on the other hand, there is also some healthy rivalry between us, so if the Netherlands lose from Argentina, that would teach them (they didn't play that well against Costa Rico, penalties are a lottery) - but it makes no difference, Germany will/should win the final, they play way too well ;-)

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

NorbertHartl

> Am 09.07.2014 um 16:21 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On 08 Jul 2014, at 16:36, Pablo R. Digonzelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!!!! tomorrow will be holliday in my country. I will read tomorrow.
>> Before the semifinal of FIFA world cup.
>> Go Argentina!!!!
>
> I don't know which side to support: on one hand, they beat Belgium (we were not good enough, but they were not that great either) so if our neighbours beat them that would be nice, but on the other hand, there is also some healthy rivalry between us, so if the Netherlands lose from Argentina, that would teach them (they didn't play that well against Costa Rico, penalties are a lottery) - but it makes no difference, Germany will/should win the final, they play way too well ;-)

I'd wish you were right. But winning so high makes you closer to loose the next game. That is my fear. So we'll see.

Norbert

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

stepharo

On 8/7/14 00:21, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written a new article presenting Pharo using a list of 23 short examples.
>
>    Elegant Pharo Code
>
>    Beautiful & Powerful One-liners, Expressions and Snippets
>
>    https://medium.com/@svenvc/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0
>
> As mentioned at the end of the article, I welcome feedback, remarks, comments, alternative solutions and other examples. The idea is to create yet another way to lure people into exploring Pharo while explaining by example why we like Pharo.
Cool
Some ideas

     MethodFinder methodFor: #( (4 3) 7  (0 5) 5  (5 5) 10).

     something with intervals could be fun :)

On 08 Jul 2014, at 21:53, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ruby and Pearl look very ugly to me.
>
> Programming languages are primarily personal preference.
>
> Pharo advantages to me at least are far more than live image, its live coding which by the way is different from live image, the IDE tools, the factor that is all Pharo objects even when you do assembly coding inside Pharo , the libraries of course and last but not least the community.
>
> I could name also thousands more advantages that I have found in the implementation that I really like as well others I don't. Devil , as they say, is in the details. Details are everything , generalisations have little meaning.
>
> Lovely article Sven , keep them coming. I think Pharo would definitely benefit from a cookbook working as a database where pharo coders can use to find example code the easy way.

Thanks, Kilon.

> But even articles like this can help a lot, I just wish that there was a Pharo wiki to keep these links and see them buried in Pharo news.

Yes, I think we need more/better places to link everything together. A curated reading list maybe.

> PS: Sven I am making my own Pharo book called Pharo Universe where I want to put things that are not part of PBE or PFTE which can be find here https://github.com/kilon/Pharo-Universe and here https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoUniverse/ . May I have permission to use your articles as chapters for my book ?  I will fully credit you and link back to your blog posts of course :)

I know you are doing a lot of effort with respect to documentation and that is really great and important. I am not sure that copying articles that were not meant to be part of a book or larger whole is a good solution, for either party, it will give too much repetition and not a lot of coherence.

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very nice, except all this could be done in Ruby, also elegantly.
> The Smalltalk advantage is the live image, and that's where the focus
> should be.

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Sergi Reyner
It may have been mentioned already, but number 7 is wrong, is states:

"7. Sum of the first 64 primes"

when it actually is:

"7. Sum of the primes not larger than 64"

Cheers,
Sergi

On 08 Jul 2014, at 21:53, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ruby and Pearl look very ugly to me.
>
> Programming languages are primarily personal preference.
>
> Pharo advantages to me at least are far more than live image, its live coding which by the way is different from live image, the IDE tools, the factor that is all Pharo objects even when you do assembly coding inside Pharo , the libraries of course and last but not least the community.
>
> I could name also thousands more advantages that I have found in the implementation that I really like as well others I don't. Devil , as they say, is in the details. Details are everything , generalisations have little meaning.
>
> Lovely article Sven , keep them coming. I think Pharo would definitely benefit from a cookbook working as a database where pharo coders can use to find example code the easy way.

Thanks, Kilon.

> But even articles like this can help a lot, I just wish that there was a Pharo wiki to keep these links and see them buried in Pharo news.

Yes, I think we need more/better places to link everything together. A curated reading list maybe.

> PS: Sven I am making my own Pharo book called Pharo Universe where I want to put things that are not part of PBE or PFTE which can be find here https://github.com/kilon/Pharo-Universe and here https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoUniverse/ . May I have permission to use your articles as chapters for my book ?  I will fully credit you and link back to your blog posts of course :)

I know you are doing a lot of effort with respect to documentation and that is really great and important. I am not sure that copying articles that were not meant to be part of a book or larger whole is a good solution, for either party, it will give too much repetition and not a lot of coherence.

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Paul Davidowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very nice, except all this could be done in Ruby, also elegantly.
> The Smalltalk advantage is the live image, and that's where the focus
> should be.

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

jrick
I've often wondered if there might not be a better way to write while loops that output a product, similar to enumeration sum: and count:.

| sum count index |
sum := 0.
count := 0.
index := 1.
[ index := index + 1.
   index isPrime ifTrue: [
      count := count + 1.
      sum := sum + index ].
   count = 64 ] whileFalse.

vs something like

| count sum |
count := 0.
sum := 1 until: [ count = 64 ] sum: [ :index |
   index isPrime
      ifTrue: [
         count := count + 1.
      ifFalse: [ 0 ] ].

or

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: [Article] Elegant Pharo Code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Sergi,

On 13 Jul 2014, at 15:05, Sergi Reyner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may have been mentioned already, but number 7 is wrong, is states:
>
> "7. Sum of the first 64 primes"
>
> when it actually is:
>
> "7. Sum of the primes not larger than 64"
>

> Cheers,
> Sergi

I fixed that, thank you !

Sven