Article On Modern Smalltalk

blake watson
Hello, folks--

I've been commissioned to write an article on modern Smalltalk and
wanted to solicit feedback on what people thought the most interesting
and useful aspects to cover would be. Obviously I wanted to talk about
Squeak, Pharo, Amber, and at least touch on Lively, and talk about the
commercial offerings (Dolphin, VAST, VW), and then there's Seaside and
GLORP and Spoon and Cuis and...etc. etc. etc.

Since it's not a book, I can't possibly cover everything, so I want to
hit the highlights, and I'm trying to avoid being overly insular
(e.g., only talking about  what are the highlights for me).

Any and all comments welcome.

===Blake===

Re: Article On Modern Smalltalk

Chris Cunnington
On 12-10-13 9:24 PM, blake wrote:

> Hello, folks--
>
> I've been commissioned to write an article on modern Smalltalk and
> wanted to solicit feedback on what people thought the most interesting
> and useful aspects to cover would be. Obviously I wanted to talk about
> Squeak, Pharo, Amber, and at least touch on Lively, and talk about the
> commercial offerings (Dolphin, VAST, VW), and then there's Seaside and
> GLORP and Spoon and Cuis and...etc. etc. etc.
>
> Since it's not a book, I can't possibly cover everything, so I want to
> hit the highlights, and I'm trying to avoid being overly insular
> (e.g., only talking about  what are the highlights for me).
>
> Any and all comments welcome.
>
> ===Blake===

That's a lot of topics. Perhaps you only have space for one paragraph
each, in which case you could probably get what you need surveying the
websites for each project.

Chris

Re: Article On Modern Smalltalk

Alejandro F. Reimondo
+1
Please consider adding to the links section
  http://u8.smalltalking.net and  http://www.smalltalking.net
 to promote reflection on what is the meaning of "modern"
 for a person that understood what is Smalltalk (for himself),
 and for people talking about social dev. using smalltalk.
thanks in advance,
Ale.

On 12-10-14 11:22 AM, Alejandro F. Reimondo wrote:
> +1
> Please consider adding to the links section
>  http://u8.smalltalking.net and  http://www.smalltalking.net
> to promote reflection on what is the meaning of "modern"
> for a person that understood what is Smalltalk (for himself),
> and for people talking about social dev. using smalltalk.
> thanks in advance,
> Ale.

I'd be happy to do that, but things in the server and squeak.org
especially are in a big state of flux. Your request is prompting me to
realize that we will need a page of links to projects. But at the moment
we are designing a new squeak.org on a new framework. All this to say,
I'll be happy to do that, but in about eight weeks, after we have a new
site up. But rest assured, I won't forget you asked, and we'll do it then.

Chris

Re: Article On Modern Smalltalk

blake watson
Thanks for the feedback so far. Gemstone/S will certainly be in there:
Thank you, Dale, I might have overlooked that.

Alexandre: Yes, that is something I'm very interested in. Any kind of
live, linkable projects that demonstrate ST in real-world use.

I'm glad to hear Squeak.org is being updated. That was one of my first
stops and the link rot there is impressive.

All that said, while I want to touch on a lot of things, I'm not
creating a link dump. I want to focus more heavily on a few things. I
want to show people things that make them think "Man, I'm gonna go
check that out!"

There's probably an encyclopedia worth of stuff out there; I want to
hit the highest of the high notes.

Re: Article On Modern Smalltalk

dcorking
Blake: In the 'Man! I want to check that out' category, I might put
either OpenQwaq or Open Cobalt.

Oh, and parsing expression grammar engines:
http://www.slideshare.net/esug/parser-inmypocket

Depending on your audience, you might feel the need to slip in a
mention of one or two dialects that are close relations of Smalltalk:
Frank, Newspeak, Objective-C or Ruby (modern doesn't necessarily mean
new, better or production ready, merely current.)

Hope that helps, David

Re: Article On Modern Smalltalk

blake watson
Thanks!

I'm definitely planning to spend some time on the historical
influences of Smalltalk as well as its offspring.