Article about PowerPoint and Smalltalk

askoh
Administrator
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/cyberspace/the-improbable-origins-of-powerpoint

I like the end
"Meanwhile, the dominant mode of personal computing globally has firmly
shifted from the desktop and laptop to the smartphone. As yet, no new vision
of personal computing like the one that came from Xerox PARC in the 1970s
has emerged. And so for the moment, it appears that PowerPoint, as we know
it, is here to stay."

Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Article about PowerPoint and Smalltalk

Hannes Hirzel
Interesting...

"The pair left Apple late in 1982, and by early 1983," ....

"Pohlman and Campbell’s idea was to bring a graphical-software
environment like the Xerox Alto’s to the hugely popular but
graphically challenged PC."

"Pohlman and Campbell envisioned an object-oriented software platform
called Foundation, which was centered around documents. Each
Foundation document would act like an object in Smalltalk, which a
business user would stitch together with other documents to create,
say, a report containing a graph of recent sales, a statistical
analysis of customer traits, drawings of proposed changes to a
product, and a block of explanatory text. Each element would be live,
malleable, and programmable. "

Thank you for the link

--Hannes

On 11/21/17, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/cyberspace/the-improbable-origins-of-powerpoint
>

> I like the end
> "Meanwhile, the dominant mode of personal computing globally has firmly
> shifted from the desktop and laptop to the smartphone. As yet, no new
> vision
> of personal computing like the one that came from Xerox PARC in the 1970s
> has emerged. And so for the moment, it appears that PowerPoint, as we know
> it, is here to stay."
>
> Aik-Siong Koh

PowerPoint 1.0_April_1987_2017-11-21.png (171K) Download Attachment

Re: Article about PowerPoint and Smalltalk

aglynn42

Sounds a lot like OpenDoc.

http://apple.wikia.com/wiki/OpenDoc

Btw it was the Xerox Star, which was largely an early version of Smalltalk with the colors inverted to look more like paper (for desktop publishing).  Some of the other technologies that came out of the Star were postscript (it’s inventor left and founded Adobe), Ethernet (its inventor founded 3COM), and WYSIWYG editing.  The Star came out in 1976.

Andrew Glynn

"The pair left Apple late in 1982, and by early 1983," ....

"Pohlman and Campbell’s idea was to bring a graphical-software

environment like the Xerox Alto’s to the hugely popular but

graphically challenged PC."

"Pohlman and Campbell envisioned an object-oriented software platform

called Foundation, which was centered around documents. Each

Foundation document would act like an object in Smalltalk, which a

business user would stitch together with other documents to create,

say, a report containing a graph of recent sales, a statistical

analysis of customer traits, drawings of proposed changes to a

product, and a block of explanatory text. Each element would be live,

malleable, and programmable. "

Thank you for the link

--Hannes

On 11/21/17, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/cyberspace/the-improbable-origins-of-powerpoint

> I like the end

> "Meanwhile, the dominant mode of personal computing globally has firmly

> shifted from the desktop and laptop to the smartphone. As yet, no new

> vision

> of personal computing like the one that came from Xerox PARC in the 1970s

> has emerged. And so for the moment, it appears that PowerPoint, as we know

> it, is here to stay."

> Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Article about PowerPoint and Smalltalk

aglynn42

https://youtu.be/_JU48-FVqvQ

Doug is a fellow I worked with early in my career, writing Lingo in Director for presentations.

Andrew Glynn