As promised, the sequel!

horrido
xap

Re: As promised, the sequel!

xap
Richard, another entertaining smalltalk read; thx :)

If when you wrote the prequel you hadn't already meant to follow up w/ the
e-car parallel, perhaps refer to this mailing list and attendant discussion
and tbrunz' specific comments here:
http://forum.world.st/Smalltalk-It-s-Not-Your-Grandfather-s-Programming-Language-tp5109548p5109556.html
?

Re: As promised, the sequel!

tbrunz
Thanks, xap!  Great sequel, Richard.  I really like the lead image, too.
(Red was a good choice.)

This makes me wonder what other technology turn-arounds and revivals exist
in history...  ;^)

Re: As promised, the sequel!

horrido
Thanks, Ted.

Yes, I chose red for the Tesla because it complements the blue I chose for
the Maserati. You see, everything I do has a reason.

I was also wondering what other technologies have undergone a revival. To be
honest, it's hard to come up with anything.

(Even the Buratino rocket launcher fits in with this motif. Three vehicles,
all with a similar visual orientation.)

I suppose I could cite Objective-C as an example. In the late 1980s, it was
chosen by Steve Jobs' NeXT company for developing their software. As we all
know, NeXT ultimately failed and along with it, Objective-C.

Many years later, Apple's iPhone made Objective-C the darling of the IT
world. This was a tremendous revival.

The problem with this story is that NeXT/Objective-C was never /really/ that
popular to begin with.

Maybe I can cite the audio turntable. It was once very popular. Then it died
with the arrival of the CD.

In recent years, vinyl records have again found a following.

tbrunz wrote

> Thanks, xap!  Great sequel, Richard.  I really like the lead image, too.
> (Red was a good choice.)
>
> This makes me wonder what other technology turn-arounds and revivals exist
> in history...  ;^)

xap

Re: As promised, the sequel!

xap
Just to clarify, as I see it:

-- this OP
(http://forum.world.st/Smalltalk-It-s-Not-Your-Grandfather-s-Programming-Language-tp5109548.html)
announces article "Smalltalk: It’s Not Your Grandparent’s Programming
Language"; the article has 1 occurrence of the word "car", and refers to a
Maserati

-- tbrunz' comment is the first in that thread to mention "electric car" and
to compare it to Smalltalk
(http://forum.world.st/Smalltalk-It-s-Not-Your-Grandfather-s-Programming-Language-tp5109548p5109556.html)

-- then this OP
(http://forum.world.st/As-promised-the-sequel-tt5109954.html) announces
article "How is Smalltalk’s revival like the e-car’s revival?"

Hence my earlier note that if you "hadn't already meant to follow up w/ the
e-car parallel, perhaps refer to this mailing list" (which would be great
exposure for the list), and to cite/credit the genesis of the article's
thesis.

Re: As promised, the sequel!

tbrunz
Thanks, xap...  This is citation enough for me.  (It's also documented in the
comment section of his articles, which is where it actually originated
before being echoed here.)

Richard has my full support, and my implicit (now explicit) permission to
freely borrow my ideas for his nicely-crafted essays.  He has the time to
write what I would, were I retired myself.  And since I fully support his
purpose, this is my contribution to "the cause".

-t

xap

Re: As promised, the sequel!

xap
tbrunz, my comment above was to pander to my own selfish views of
how-the-world-ought -to-work than for your benefit ;-)

My own druthers would have been to refer to this list and your comments in
the para "Pharo is also extremely versatile which is well-explained in this
article, “Smalltalk: It’s Not Your Grandparent’s Programming Language.”"

As it is -- to me -- it smacks vaguely of plagiarism, and is the sort of
stunt that gets one expelled -- certainly, called up to the dean -- in an
educational institution of any standing. I expect more inclusivity and grace
from a community builder or evangelist.

But, that's me.

*shrug*

:)

Re: As promised, the sequel!

horrido
Getting an idea suggestion for an article is plagiarism???

I get ideas from all kinds of sources. From friends. From strangers. From
television and movies. Et cetera. There's no point in citing all of them.

xap wrote

> tbrunz, my comment above was to pander to my own selfish views of
> how-the-world-ought -to-work than for your benefit ;-)
>
> My own druthers would have been to refer to this list and your comments in
> the para "Pharo is also extremely versatile which is well-explained in
> this
> article, “Smalltalk: It’s Not Your Grandparent’s Programming Language.”"
>
> As it is -- to me -- it smacks vaguely of plagiarism, and is the sort of
> stunt that gets one expelled -- certainly, called up to the dean -- in an
> educational institution of any standing. I expect more inclusivity and
> grace
> from a community builder or evangelist.
>
> But, that's me.
>
> *shrug*
>
> :)

Re: As promised, the sequel!

tbrunz
Exactly.  I gave you a suggestion for an article.  That's hardly plagiarism
by any definition.

Keep up the good work, Richard!  You're selflessly filling a real need, and
it's appreciated.

-t

xap

Re: As promised, the sequel!

xap
"Getting an idea suggestion for an article is plagiarism???"

perhaps that was rhetorical, what with the tripled punctuation. erring on
the side it's not, broadly, unattributed, yes.

here's oxford:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/guidance/skills/plagiarism
here's webster: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plagiarize

it's a matter of attribution; in no way does it diminish work that you put
in to develop or elucidate an idea (but you know all this of course).

"I get ideas from all kinds of sources. ... There's no point in citing all
of them."

well, whomp, there it is ;-)

separately, to distinguish baby from bathwater, your pieces come up in
interwebz searches around smalltalk, the ones I've come by have been always
readable often informative, and (as i've said before) thank you for the work
that goes into making them available