Assigning parent view

Chris Hayes-3
Is there an easy way to get a view to open so that its parent is something
other than the Desktop?  I'd like window B, launched from window A, to
always be on top of window A.  I don't see an obvious way of doing this
using the existing View protocol.

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: Assigning parent view

Don Rylander-3
Chris:
"Chris Hayes" <hayes@*zapthis*.creative-computing-inc.com> wrote in message
news:Prfk8.11724$[hidden email]...
> Is there an easy way to get a view to open so that its parent is something
> other than the Desktop?  I'd like window B, launched from window A, to
> always be on top of window A.  I don't see an obvious way of doing this
> using the existing View protocol.

I've been having to monkey around in this area lately, too.  Take a look at
View>>create.  It looks like setting the your view's creationParent
(#parentView:) before it's created will prevent it from having the desktop as
its parent.  Of course, #parentView: is flagged as private, so there's that
issue...

Don

> Many thanks,
>
> Chris

Re: Assigning parent view

Chris Hayes-3
Thanks, Don.  I'll take a look.

By the way, it was in the 70s here yesterday.  How's the weather by you?

Chris

"Don Rylander" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:a6t2ls$grqv1$[hidden email]...
> Chris:
> "Chris Hayes" <hayes@*zapthis*.creative-computing-inc.com> wrote in
message
> news:Prfk8.11724$[hidden email]...
> > Is there an easy way to get a view to open so that its parent is
something
> > other than the Desktop?  I'd like window B, launched from window A, to
> > always be on top of window A.  I don't see an obvious way of doing this
> > using the existing View protocol.
>
> I've been having to monkey around in this area lately, too.  Take a look
at
> View>>create.  It looks like setting the your view's creationParent
> (#parentView:) before it's created will prevent it from having the desktop
as
> its parent.  Of course, #parentView: is flagged as private, so there's
that

> issue...
>
> Don
>

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Chris

Re: Assigning parent view

Don Rylander-3
Chris,
"Chris Hayes" <hayes@*zapthis*.creative-computing-inc.com> wrote in message
news:0Nok8.66091$[hidden email]...
> Thanks, Don.  I'll take a look.
>
> By the way, it was in the 70s here yesterday.  How's the weather by you?
Well, it's worked its way up to 28, so far.  Thanks to yesterday's storm, we
also have a beautiful 6- or 8-inch layer of snow over a sturdy foundation of
ice.  Bet you miss that, don't you?

Don

> Chris
[...]

Re: Assigning parent view

Chris Hayes-3
"Don Rylander" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:a6tb1b$h3va9>
> Well, it's worked its way up to 28, so far.  Thanks to yesterday's storm,
we
> also have a beautiful 6- or 8-inch layer of snow over a sturdy foundation
of
> ice.  Bet you miss that, don't you?

No, can't say that I do :-).

Anyway, looks like a good example of what I'm trying to do is the View
Composer and its widget ToolBox.  The ToolBox stays on top of the Composer
while open.

The key is to send the view of a newly created Shell presenter (the view you
want to stay on top) the message #bePopupFor: prior to the shell being shown
(via #show).  Arg for #bePopupFor: is the owner view.

OT:
In the category of "Having fun at Microsoft's expense":
http://rita.thegourmet.com/computers.html