Athens anyone?

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi!

I just found out about https://github.com/matthias-springer/amber-athens

This is quite embarassing, I must say. Matthias did an amazing work there.

Is there anybody working with it?
How come there is on Amber 0.14 update for it?
This project  should be mentioned somewhere...

Sebastian

Re: Athens anyone?

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, Matthias' 10 step demo http://m-sp.org/cop-ContextAmber/ is interesting.

--Hannes

On 1/25/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just found out about https://github.com/matthias-springer/amber-athens
>
> This is quite embarassing, I must say. Matthias did an amazing work there.
>
> Is there anybody working with it?
> How come there is on Amber 0.14 update for it?
> This project  should be mentioned somewhere...
>
> Sebastian

Re: Athens anyone?

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.
Actually the tutorial has 31 steps, it just happens that step 11 is empty.

On 1/25/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, Matthias' 10 step demo http://m-sp.org/cop-ContextAmber/ is
> interesting.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 1/25/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just found out about https://github.com/matthias-springer/amber-athens
>>
>> This is quite embarassing, I must say. Matthias did an amazing work
>> there.
>>
>> Is there anybody working with it?
>> How come there is on Amber 0.14 update for it?
>> This project  should be mentioned somewhere...
>>
>> Sebastian

Re: Athens anyone?

matthias.springer
Hi,

it is nice to see that people are still interested in this! The
project still used a one-year old Amber version but I updated it to
the latest version, so I can use it for other side projects.

My initial motivation for this project was to develop a UI framework
that is similar to Morphic in Pharo/Squeak, maybe to an extent that
apps can be written in Pharo/Squeak and immediately be run on Amber
(without any code changes). Unfortunately, I don't have enough time
recently to go further into this direction, but this is how far I got:
http://matthias-springer.github.io/amber-athens/morphic.html. It runs
entirely on Amber and everything is drawn on an HTML canvas using
Athens (it also needs some updates, since everything's a bit blurry on
current browser, images don't work anymore, etc.).

Btw, the URL you mentioned before is actually a different project I am
working on right now for university. It is a library (ContextAmber)
for context-oriented programming (similar to aspect-oriented
programming) and I am just using Athens as an example to explain the
API and do benchmarks (thus the update). This is the real tutorial:
http://m-sp.org/amber-athens/. As of now, it is almost identical
except for the fist two steps, but it is faster (more FPS).

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S.
> Actually the tutorial has 31 steps, it just happens that step 11 is empty.
>
> On 1/25/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, Matthias' 10 step demo http://m-sp.org/cop-ContextAmber/ is
>> interesting.
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 1/25/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I just found out about https://github.com/matthias-springer/amber-athens
>>>
>>> This is quite embarassing, I must say. Matthias did an amazing work
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Is there anybody working with it?
>>> How come there is on Amber 0.14 update for it?
>>> This project  should be mentioned somewhere...
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>> --

Best regards,
Matthias Springer

Student M.Sc. IT Systems Engineering (Hasso Plattner Institute)
[hidden email] * Stahnsdorfer Straße 144b, 14482 Potsdam, Germany