Author = TestRunner

Stéphane Ducasse
apparently there is a bad interaction between the test runner and the
author
because from time to time I get author = TestRunner
Probably the runner code is not robust enough in case of failure
capture or something like that.

runCase
        Author
                useAuthor: 'TestRunner'
                during: [
                        [self setUp.
                        self performTest]
                                ensure: [
                                        self tearDown.
                                        self cleanUpInstanceVariables ] ]

Re: Author = TestRunner

Adrian Lienhard
If I understand you correctly, the author is permanently set to
'TestRunner' after running tests?

Do you know which tests cause the problem? Reverting to the original
author is done in an ensure block, so I don't see how that can go
wrong right now.

Adrian

On Oct 31, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, the author is permanently set to
> 'TestRunner' after running tests?

yes :)

> Do you know which tests cause the problem? Reverting to the original
> author is done in an ensure block, so I don't see how that can go
> wrong right now.

Probably if the test raise an error then the handler get confused.
Adrian K reported the same problem in the BugTracker

Stef

> Adrian
>
> On Oct 29, 2009, at 20:57 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> apparently there is a bad interaction between the test runner and the
>> author
>> because from time to time I get author = TestRunner
>> Probably the runner code is not robust enough in case of failure
>> capture or something like that.
>>

>> runCase
>> Author
>> useAuthor: 'TestRunner'
>> during: [
>> [self setUp.
>> self performTest]
>> ensure: [
>> self tearDown.
>> self cleanUpInstanceVariables ] ]

Re: Author = TestRunner

Henrik Sperre Johansen
It happens for instance if you click one of the failing tests after
intially running tests, then fix the bug in the debugger that pops up.
(i.e., you're comitting changes while the test is being run).

Cheers,
Henry

On 31.10.2009 18:31, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, the author is permanently set to
> 'TestRunner' after running tests?
>
> Do you know which tests cause the problem? Reverting to the original
> author is done in an ensure block, so I don't see how that can go
> wrong right now.
>
> Adrian
>
> On Oct 29, 2009, at 20:57 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> apparently there is a bad interaction between the test runner and the
>> author
>> because from time to time I get author = TestRunner
>> Probably the runner code is not robust enough in case of failure
>> capture or something like that.
>>

>> runCase
>> Author
>> useAuthor: 'TestRunner'
>> during: [
>> [self setUp.
>> self performTest]
>> ensure: [
>> self tearDown.
>> self cleanUpInstanceVariables ] ]

Re: Author = TestRunner

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
It happens for instance if you click one of the failing tests after
intially running tests, then fix the bug in the debugger that pops up.
(i.e., you're comitting changes while the test is being run).

Ok....I have just faced this problem too. I looked at the code but I don't know how to fix it.

Anyway, why should tests use a particular Author ?  I ask just because of ignorance.
Is it because of this http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1327   ?

The only solution I see is an ugly hack that when you click on the "save" button of the MC browser, if the Author is 'TestRunner' you just ignore it and use the previous. To do this, we should store the previous in an instance variable instead of a temp.

The opened ticket is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1379

Best,

Mariano

On Nov 5, 2009, at 14:39 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It happens for instance if you click one of the failing tests after
>> intially running tests, then fix the bug in the debugger that pops
>> up.
>> (i.e., you're comitting changes while the test is being run).
>>

> Ok....I have just faced this problem too. I looked at the code but I
> don't
> know how to fix it.
>
> Anyway, why should tests use a particular Author ?  I ask just
> because of
> ignorance.
> Is it because of this http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1327
> ?

yes. The popup is especially annoying when you run the tests on a test
server (but also when you start running all tests, get a coffee and
when you come back the test runner asking you for your name).

[...]

> The opened ticket is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1379

Thanks. I did a quick fix that should handle most common cases.

Now the name 'TestRunner' is only used if no author was set before
starting the tests. The implementation of temporarily setting another
author name is too simple to cope with the suspending of a process and
opening a debugger from a failed assertion. In this case, one would
ideally want to use the real author. The desired behavior could be
implemented using a dynamic variable to request the author. The test
runner could then catch the notification and return the temporary
author. This would then not interfere with compiling methods in the
debugger because it runs in a different call stack.

Cheers,
Adrian