Auto Proxy and Pharo

volkert-2
Dear all,

at work we are using a "auto proxy configuration". Your proxy definition
in your app looks like "http://<server>:<ip>/proxy.pac.  See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config.

Any idea, how to use this proxy definition with Pharo? Would be
terrible, if i can not use Pharo here at work.

BW,
Volkert

Re: Auto Proxy and Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 05 Oct 2015, at 19:28, Volkert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> at work we are using a "auto proxy configuration". Your proxy definition in your app looks like "http://<server>:<ip>/proxy.pac.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config.
>
> Any idea, how to use this proxy definition with Pharo? Would be terrible, if i can not use Pharo here at work.
>
> BW,
> Volkert

From http://curl.askapache.com/faq.html#Does_curl_support_Javascript_or

<quote>

3.14 Does curl support Javascript or PAC (automated proxy config)?

Many web pages do magic stuff using embedded Javascript. Curl and libcurl
have no built-in support for that, so it will be treated just like any other
contents.

.pac files are a netscape invention and are sometimes used by organizations
to allow them to differentiate which proxies to use. The .pac contents is
just a Javascript program that gets invoked by the browser and that returns
the name of the proxy to connect to. Since curl doesn't support Javascript,
it can't support .pac proxy configuration either.

Some workarounds usually suggested to overcome this Javascript dependency:

- Depending on the Javascript complexity, write up a script that
translates it to another language and execute that.

- Read the Javascript code and rewrite the same logic in another language.

- Implement a Javascript interpreter, people have successfully used the
Mozilla Javascript engine in the past.

- Ask your admins to stop this, for a static proxy setup or similar.

</quote>

If even curl does not support it ....

I would suggest asking your local sysadmin for a direct proxy host:port

Re: Auto Proxy and Pharo

volkert-2
;-) I know ... i know .... i will ask for it ....