Auto-completion error in an Inspector

Richard Sargent
Administrator
There is an error in the auto-completion logic in an Inspector window.

I was inspecting the Association defined by #a->5. I had checked "Bind 'self' to selection", and I had deselected everything in the left column. (Dodgy, I know.)

While typing an expression in the right-hand pane, I would get a walkback. It's fairly repeatable, but I don't know the initial trigger condition. It seems I had to have backspaced to delete something, then continue typing. However, that by itself isn't always enough to cause the error. I've included the stack trace. The actual error is pretty obvious, expecting a non-empty collection when it can be empty. But the root cause may be something else (as in why does it sometimes happen and sometimes not).

stack.txt (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Auto-completion error in an Inspector

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I guess I should mention that it was 8.5.2, running under Windows 7. :-)

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:29:37 PM UTC-7, Richard Sargent wrote:
There is an error in the auto-completion logic in an Inspector window.

I was inspecting the Association defined by #a->5. I had checked "Bind 'self' to selection", and I had deselected everything in the left column. (Dodgy, I know.)

While typing an expression in the right-hand pane, I would get a walkback. It's fairly repeatable, but I don't know the initial trigger condition. It seems I had to have backspaced to delete something, then continue typing. However, that by itself isn't always enough to cause the error. I've included the stack trace. The actual error is pretty obvious, expecting a non-empty collection when it can be empty. But the root cause may be something else (as in why does it sometimes happen and sometimes not).

Re: Auto-completion error in an Inspector

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the find...that seems like a reasonable state that needs to be accounted for.

Inspectors and workspaces have additional logic to try and determine how to generate a valid parse tree
from the cursor position.
This means different code paths based on the cursor position/editor contents and would account for the seemingly
random behavior that you noticed.

I have added a case and this will be fixed in our next release

-- Seth