AutoStart, where are you?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
This class was in 1.2, but is missing in 1.3. Why was it removed and what has replaced it? Also, is there a flaw in the deprecation system that has me ask these questions in the first place?

I can't load XMLRPC because of:

        Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: AutoStart.

What do I replace this with?

Sean

p.s. I found mentions in several issues and ml posts, but nothing definitive.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Igor Stasenko
On 5 September 2011 18:09, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This class was in 1.2, but is missing in 1.3. Why was it removed and what has
> replaced it? Also, is there a flaw in the deprecation system that has me ask
> these questions in the first place?
>
> I can't load XMLRPC because of:
>
>        Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: AutoStart.
>
> What do I replace this with?

Usually
Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self
should be ok.

Why XMLRPC needs a startup?

> Sean
>
> p.s. I found mentions in several issues and ml posts, but nothing
> definitive.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Gary Chambers-4
I miss that too! (all our deployed apps used it)

Regards, Gary

> This class was in 1.2, but is missing in 1.3. Why was it removed and what
> has
> replaced it? Also, is there a flaw in the deprecation system that has me
> ask
> these questions in the first place?
>
> I can't load XMLRPC because of:
>
> Smalltalk addToStartUpList: self after: AutoStart.
>
> What do I replace this with?
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. I found mentions in several issues and ml posts, but nothing
> definitive.

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Igor Stasenko
Yes, but why Autostart?
why after, not before?
Does it makes sense to declare an order (and as a consequence
introducing a dependency), when there is no preference?

On 5 September 2011 18:28, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I miss that too! (all our deployed apps used it)
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean P. DeNigris"
> <[hidden email]>

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Gary Chambers-4
More specifically, we had Abstractlauncher subclasses...

Regards, Gary

> Does it makes sense to declare an order (and as a consequence
> introducing a dependency), when there is no preference?
>
> On 5 September 2011 18:28, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I miss that too! (all our deployed apps used it)
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean P. DeNigris"
>> <[hidden email]>

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
More specifically, we had Abstractlauncher subclasses...

Like Cog does and that's why we have a warning while loading Cog in Pharo.

Regards, Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> Sent: Monday, September 05, 2011 5:37 PM

Yes, but why Autostart?
why after, not before?
Does it makes sense to declare an order (and as a consequence
introducing a dependency), when there is no preference?

On 5 September 2011 18:28, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I miss that too! (all our deployed apps used it)

Regards, Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean P. DeNigris"
<[hidden email]>

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Let us know if we need to reintroduce it.
But what would be nice is to understand exactly what was used and for what.
Because the startup was full of strange dependencies (Some of them were bogus)
Stef

On Sep 5, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> More specifically, we had Abstractlauncher subclasses...
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]>

Re: AutoStart, where are you?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
Yes, but why Autostart?
why after, not before?
It seems to work without specifying the order.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean