Autocomplete question

Chris Uppal-3
Is it possible to get the auto-complete to 'advance' over the unambiguous
characters in the possible extensions to what's already been typed ?

Sorry if that's not very clear.  What I mean is that if I type, say:

    SmalltalkW

then the only possible extensions are 'SmalltalkWorkspace' and
'SmalltalkWorkspaceDocument'.  So I'd like to be able to ask the autocompletion
engine to insert the unambiguous extension, 'orkspace' after the W, and then
leave me to chose between the two options by typing 'D' or a space.

    -- chris

Re: Autocomplete question

Blair McGlashan
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Is it possible to get the auto-complete to 'advance' over the unambiguous
> characters in the possible extensions to what's already been typed ?
>
> Sorry if that's not very clear.  What I mean is that if I type, say:
>
>    SmalltalkW
>
> then the only possible extensions are 'SmalltalkWorkspace' and
> 'SmalltalkWorkspaceDocument'.  So I'd like to be able to ask the
> autocompletion
> engine to insert the unambiguous extension, 'orkspace' after the W, and
> then
> leave me to chose between the two options by typing 'D' or a space.

Hmmm, that's a very good idea. If often find myself typing extra characters
for that reason. Can you raise an ER and I'll take a look at it. Any comment
on the way you think it should work would be useful e.g. an accelerator key
to skip the common part, or should the common part be inserted as selected
text that can then be skipped over (accepted) with the appropriate cursor
key command or removed (cancelled) by pressing another character key.

Regards

Blair

Re: Autocomplete question

Chris Uppal-3
Blair

> Can you raise an ER and I'll take a look at
> it. Any comment on the way you think it should work would be useful e.g.
> an accelerator key to skip the common part

Done.  I've suggested (but it would really depend on how it feels when you
actually try it) that right-arrow would be a good key-binding to advance, with
maybe (though I'm not convinced it's worth the effort) left-arrow to un-advance
again.

    -- chris