Automatic compression of tranlogs?

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

I saw $GEMSTONE/examples/admin/archiveLogs.sh  example and I read the documentation. But I still haven't found what I would like. I understand that translog writing must be fast. But I would like to compress each tranlog once I start a new one.

From what I can see, the max I can do myself, is to simply run a daily script that compresses all but current tranlog. And then, another script that uncompress them all. And then, obviously, for any of my scripts that do use tranlogs (compactExtent, restoreFromBackup, etc) they should all uncompress before doing the real task.

Before starting from scratch, has someone already did something similar to this?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Automatic compression of tranlogs?

GLASS mailing list
That is how you do things today with 3.3.x.

In 3.4 we have this new config option:

#=========================================================================
# GEM_COMPRESS_TRANLOG_RECORDS
#
# If true, sessions will compress tranlog data records using lz4 compression
# before sending them to stone .
#
# Default false .
#GEM_COMPRESS_TRANLOG_RECORDS = FALSE;

In addition, there's also been a substantial amount of work done in 3.4 to reduce tranlog growth.

Norm

On 6/26/17 12:17, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi,

I saw $GEMSTONE/examples/admin/archiveLogs.sh  example and I read the documentation. But I still haven't found what I would like. I understand that translog writing must be fast. But I would like to compress each tranlog once I start a new one.

From what I can see, the max I can do myself, is to simply run a daily script that compresses all but current tranlog. And then, another script that uncompress them all. And then, obviously, for any of my scripts that do use tranlogs (compactExtent, restoreFromBackup, etc) they should all uncompress before doing the real task.