Automating parcel loading

MJL-4
  After playing around a bit with VW and some toy projects, I believe
I'm getting up to speed and I really like the environment. So now I'm
thinking of how to be able to deliver something stable to the (still
hypothetical, sigh) client.

  I suppose it's pretty easy to automate things one usually does
to get a vanilla image to be useful, for example:

        unload some things (UIPainter)
        connect to the public repository
        load RBCodeHiglighter
        load Seaside 2.6something (but not 2.5!)
        disconnect from the public repository
        connect to my private repository
        load Fooproject, latest revision
        disconnect
        save image under some name

  I really would appriciate any pointers to documentation or examples,
my own search in the docs hasn't been all that successful...

  Also, what is the best strategy WRT the public repository? Should
I replicate stuff to my local repository, to have a stable baseline
version to start with and in case the public repository goes away?
What do people delivering real world projects do?

  Any hints and insights would really be appreciated.

  Regards,

        mjl

Re: Automating parcel loading

Runar Jordahl
I have some examples at
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3319375571
Note that the script is based on "Binding References" so that it can
refer classes that are not loaded into the image yet.

I think people choose different strategies for how to bring code over
from the Public Store database to their own environment. Load to image
& save it, save to parcel, publish to own Store database, etc. I would
recommend looking at "ExportDatabase"
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/publicRepository/ExportDatabase.html

I will soon address some of the issues you bring up in your mail in my blog.

Runar Jordahl

Re: Automating parcel loading

MJL-4
|  I have some examples at
|  http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3319375571
|  Note that the script is based on "Binding References" so that it can
|  refer classes that are not loaded into the image yet.

  Thanks, that's a good starting point.

  Also, I'm a bit confused about all those different terms which seem
to refer to more or less the same thing: Package, Parcel, Pundle,
Bundle... what are all those things?

  Regards,

        mjl

Re: Automating parcel loading

Reinout Heeck-2
See also the BodyBuilder project,
currently it is dormant but I started preparations to bring it to life
'real soon now'.

If you sign up to the mailing list you can actually steer it towards
what you need ;-)

http://bodybuilder.sourceforge.net/

Reinout
-------

--
Reinout Heeck
-------------
Idle curiosity is the enemy of a quiet life.

Re: Automating parcel loading

Ladislav Lenart
Martin J. Laubach wrote:

>|  I have some examples at
>|  http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3319375571
>|  Note that the script is based on "Binding References" so that it can
>|  refer classes that are not loaded into the image yet.
>
>  Thanks, that's a good starting point.
>
>  Also, I'm a bit confused about all those different terms which seem
>to refer to more or less the same thing: Package, Parcel, Pundle,
>Bundle... what are all those things?

Package is the unit of functionality (component).
Bundle is container for Packages and other Bundles.
If you want to refer to Package or Bundle, you can use common term for
them - Pundle.
Packages and Bundles can be persistently saved (versioned) to Store.
They can be also saved to disk as Parcels.

If I mistaken something, I am sure someone will put things right.

Hope it helps,

Ladislav Lenart

Re: Automating parcel loading

Runar Jordahl
I agree with Lenart. Here are my descriptions:

Package - The basic building block for software components in Store.
It is the unit for versioning code, loading & unloading, specifying
dependency, etc. If I load a package and its prerequisites, I should
end up with code that can actually be used (instantiated or
sub-classed).

Bundle - A container holding a set of *versioned* packages or other
*versioned* bundles. You can use a bundle to make a "line-up" of a set
of packages. Some addition information is found here
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3260447266

Parcel - a file representation of one of the above.

Pundle - An abstract term for both package and bundle. Look at class
"Smalltalk.Store.Pundle". Sometimes also used about parcel.

Runar Jordahl

Re: Automating parcel loading

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Reinout:

Are you going to SS2006 , reason I ask is that some folks want to get
together for a BOF on packaging and your input would be great. If you are
not going , this would be a great reason to go, for one you can find
recruits for the project :)

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> Are you going to SS2006 , reason I ask is that some folks want to get
> together for a BOF on packaging and your input would be great.

Yes, I'll be there and would love to discuss packaging. Since development on
BodyBuilder has not started yet I can only bring my experience with our
current (St based) build solution...

See you there,

Reinout
-------