Automation of MS Office from Pharo

12

Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello All

I am using Pharo (currently P7, moving to P8) under Windows 10. I have MS Office 365 on my system, and use it regularly for non-Smalltalk tasks. It would be very convenient if I could issue commands to MS Office components from within Pharo. My current interest is to manage my incoming e-mails in Outlook, but I can see many other applications. I have a recollection of seeing a reference to automation of Excel to transfer data both ways, but I cannot recall where. I have searched the catalog, but could not see anything that looked relevant. I have also read the uFFI booklet, but again no luck. Could anyone point me to any information or examples of such control, please? It would not have to be Outlook, though that is my main interest; given examples for other Office components, I should be able to follow the pattern.

TIA

Peter Kenny

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

tesonep@gmail.com
Hello,
   One of the alternatives to integrate with Office is the use of the
COM interface. There is an implementation in
https://github.com/tesonep/pharo-com. In the test package, there are
examples to integrate with Word, Excell, Internet Explorer, and
Access. Integration with Outlook can be done in the same fashion. It
is good that the API of all the Office products is heavily documented.

You can get more information about how to use Outlook here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/overview/outlook/object-model

Pablo.

--
Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny
Hello Pablo

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to use Pharo-Com to connect to Outlook, and have now got myself into a complete tangle. I have been able to connect to my already-running copy of Outlook, but when I tried to enter propertyNamed: 'Folders', an error message appeared with the text: "Instance of FFIExternalObjectType did not understand emitArgument:context:inCallout:".
I could not understand this, so I closed the debugger, assuming the effects would be unwound.

I found that, whatever I tried after that, the same message appeared. In desperation I closed down Pharo, without saving the image, and started again. Whatever I tried in using Pharo-Com, the exact same message appeared. Even when I tried running one of your tests, the same message.

It seems clear that something in my system, not part of Pharo, has been changed in a way which persists from one run of Pharo to another. I have no idea what it can be, but I see that some parts of Pharo-Com address the registry, so I wonder if I have corrupted that in some way.

For the time being I have stopped work on Pharo-Com. I hope that a night's sleep will bring inspiration. In case it means anything to you, I attach a screenshot of the error stack when I try to run the testWord case in PharoCOM-Tests.

Thanks again

Peter Kenny

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

PharoScreenshot.png (288K) Download Attachment

Pablo Tesone.

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Pablo – Yes, I saw the instruction. I used the quoted Metacello procedure for P7 – I used copy and paste from the repo Readme. Peter

--
Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

tesonep@gmail.com
Ok, I was trying to find an easy solution. I will try tomorrow morning
to see the problem.
Sorry,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pablo – Yes, I saw the instruction. I used the quoted Metacello procedure for P7 – I used copy and paste from the repo Readme. Peter

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny
Pablo - Thanks for this. Just one bit of news. While I was waiting, I opened a new Pharo 8 image, installed Pharo-Com 9the right one!) and tried to run some of your tests. The Word test started to work, then stopped saying 'test took too long'. But it did open a Word document, and in one trial it printed the opening message. The variant tests were all green. So there are signs that the problem lies with P7.

So don't worry too much about me - I probably fouled something up.

Peter.

Ok, I was trying to find an easy solution. I will try tomorrow morning to see the problem.
Sorry,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pablo – Yes, I saw the instruction. I used the quoted Metacello
> procedure for P7 – I used copy and paste from the repo Readme. Peter

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny
Pablo - a final update before I close for the night. The Word test on the pharo 8 version comes up green. The strange error message is nowhere to be seen in any Pharo 8 runs. The result is not what I expected; I finish up with two Word documents open, one with the first message, the other with the two messages. I thought the 'finalize' command would close it down.

Anyway, it looks as if I need to switch to P8 to use Pharo-Com. I shall continue testing tomorrow on P8.

Sorry for the late-night hassle.

Peter

Pablo - Thanks for this. Just one bit of news. While I was waiting, I opened a new Pharo 8 image, installed Pharo-Com 9the right one!) and tried to run some of your tests. The Word test started to work, then stopped saying 'test took too long'. But it did open a Word document, and in one trial it printed the opening message. The variant tests were all green. So there are signs that the problem lies with P7.

So don't worry too much about me - I probably fouled something up.

Peter.

Ok, I was trying to find an easy solution. I will try tomorrow morning to see the problem.
Sorry,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pablo – Yes, I saw the instruction. I used the quoted Metacello
> procedure for P7 – I used copy and paste from the repo Readme. Peter

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

eftomi
Hello Peter,

If you look at the code in the Word test you will notice that the test firstly
- creates a new Word instance,
- makes it visible to the end user,
- then adds an empty document to the documents collection with the text "Hello from Pharo!"
- then it tests whether it can receive the same text back from Word.

After that, the test
- adds a new empty document to the documents collection with the text "Hello from Pharo! Some additional text. ", this time as an array of two texts
- it activates this second document (this imitates the end user's window activation on the desktop)
- then it tests whether it can receive the same text back from Word.

If you look at the Task Manager, you'll notice that you have one Word process with two open documents:

Namely, for each document Word creates a new, separate window - the documents are not displayed in one "Word application window", but separately - that's a normal behavior for some versions of MS Office, and it happens also if you open several documents directly in Word. So, there is just one Word instance.

'finalize' clears the references to the Word instance, it doesn't close the program by itself. If you want to do that, you can send Quit message to Word before you destroy the reference (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/word.application.quit(method)).

Similar behaviour is with Outlook, here's one example: https://www.excelcommand.com/excel-help/excel-how-to.php?i=124116

The calling among COM objects is asynchronous, and it's usually wise to wrap it in error handling structures.

Please tell us how it goes.

Best wishes,
Tomaz

Peter

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello Tomaž

Many thanks for your patient explanation. I should have been able to work out for myself how the Word test works, and indeed I realized some of it when I came to shut down the Word instance and its two documents. But it was late at night, and I should have packed up before then.

My last test last night showed that basically I have cracked it for my job of automating Outlook. I have been able to connect to my running instance of Outlook, open my application and interrogate the names of my top-level folders. From now on it should be just a matter of understanding the MS documentation of the Outlook model.

However, all this is with Pharo-Com installed in a new Pharo 8 image. I have no idea what went wrong with my first effort on Pharo 7. But I shan’t worry about that – I shall gradually move all my bits and pieces to P8. I shall try to work it out myself from here, but I shall come back if I get stuck.

Thanks again

Peter Kenny

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Peter,
    First, thanks to try to use Pharo-COM, that is great, I love to have users for it and find it is useful.
Secondly, the Pharo 7 problem is an error I have introduced. It is clear that some changes I have done to support the new version of UFFI (the framework in Pharo to handle FFI calls) have broken the Pharo 7 version, so I will fix it to maintain compatibility.

It is great that you were able to make it work!

Cheers,

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello Pablo (and Tomaž)

You asked for feedback; after a day of experiments, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have been able to navigate through my Outlook Data File, find my way to an e-mail of interest and examine the fields of interest. This means I am 90% of the way to my objective. All I want is to get the HTML code from the message body and pass it to XMLHTMLParser for further analysis. I found it not too difficult to work this out; the fact that a COMDispatchInstance can display all its internals in a playground page meant that I could work it out interactively as a playground exercise. I am still discovering things about the interface; I have only just found out that I can select an item from a list by quoting its name as an argument, rather than its number in the list. I am sure my clumsy code can be tidied up still.

I can get to the 100% point in the job by exporting the contents of the e-mail to disk in HTML format, using the SaveAs procedure of the MailItem object. I can then read it back from disk into the parser. But this seems a bit clunky. The content of an HTML mail item is available in the HTMLBody property of the MailItem, so I should be able to pass it programmatically to the parser without going near the disk. This is where I run into trouble.

In most of the cases I tried, this worked fine; I could display the HTML body text as a WideString in the playground, assign it to a variable and do whatever I wanted. However, for just one e-mail I tried, as soon as I selected ‘Do it and go’ in the playground, a message came up that the VM had crashed; the application closed, leaving only a crash dump. I cannot find anything unusual about the message that failed in this way, except that when I save it, it produces a larger file than any of the others (just over 1MB, against up to 300KB for the ones that worked). Could there be a limit on the size of some internal buffer?

I thought it worth while mentioning this now, because crashing the VM is generally undesirable. I can solve my problems safely using the SaveAs route, so it’s not a problem for me.

Hope this helps; if you want more details, let me know. Overall I am very happy with this library.

Peter Kenny

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

eftomi
Dear Peter,

I'm glad that you find the package useful! Can you please explain a little bit more about your code, because it's not obvious from your description at which stage the problem occurs. Could you trace it with the debugger, and/or possibly post here the piece of code that fails?

Thanks and best wishes,
Tomaz

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello Tomaž

I have been exploring today, to try to narrow down where the problem appears. It’s difficult to give you some code to reproduce the problem, because you would need to have my Outlook Data File, or an extract of it, plus MS Outlook to run it on. If you want that, I will try to work out how to produce a minimum extract to show the problem.

Meanwhile, I can describe what the problem seems to be. All my work has been done in a playground. I can set up a connection to my Outlook Data File and navigate through it to the folder of interest, which contains editions of a newsletter in German. I then inspect one of the items in the folder, which is a COMDispatchInstance and an instance of the object MailItem. My interest is the property HTMLBody of the MailItem, which is as you expect the complete code to display the newsletter. If I inspect the HTMLBody property for most MailItems, it displays with no problem. In some cases, however, as soon as I click ‘inspect it’, there is a message saying the VM has crashed, and the system closes with a crash dump.

I don’t think there is a problem with the fact that I am displaying the property value in an inspector. I tried instead to assign it to a variable in the playground. As soon as I clicked ‘do it’ the whole Pharo app closed down, with no message or crash dump.

I have tried to find some common factor in the items which will cause the crash, and the one thing I can find is the size of HTMLBody, or equivalently the size of the MailItem. The HTMLBody displays as a WideString in the inspector, and it works fine for an object of about 230K characters. With another message about 10% larger, the VM crash occurred.

I have no knowledge of COM interfacing, except what I have picked up in the last two days, but I have been trying to find a general description of a problem which would give the results I have seen. If a COM object has a property which is a BSTRString, and if the string is a WideString with more than about 250K characters, is there some internal buffer overflow? – the crash dump has several mentions of ‘Stack Overflow’, though I can’t really follow it.

That is about all I can explain – sorry it’s a bit long-winded. If you want more information, or an extract of my Outlook data file, just let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Kenny

I'm glad that you find the package useful! Can you please explain a little bit more about your code, because it's not obvious from your description at which stage the problem occurs. Could you trace it with the debugger, and/or possibly post here the piece of code that fails?

Thanks and best wishes,

Tomaz

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hello Tomaž

I have been working out how to make your debugging easier. If you have MS Outlook to explore with, I have an extract from my Outlook Data File I can send you, together with a code snippet to run in a playground. With these it should be easy to reproduce the error.

HTH

Peter Kenny

I'm glad that you find the package useful! Can you please explain a little bit more about your code, because it's not obvious from your description at which stage the problem occurs. Could you trace it with the debugger, and/or possibly post here the piece of code that fails?

Thanks and best wishes,

Tomaz

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

eftomi
Thanks, Peter. I checked out the Outlook COM interface, noticed that the MailItem.HTMLBody property returns a string, which is implemented as BSTR in COM (more on this here: https://bytecomb.com/vba-internals-string-variables-and-pointers-in-depth/).

I tested the maximum lengths of strings with Word and my images crash under these circumstances:
- Pharo 8.0 64 bit when returning ByteString is longer than 16.379 characters
- Pharo 8.0 32 bit when returning ByteString is longer than 260.080 characters (approximately).

64 bit image crashes without any warning, however the 32 bit one crashes with

I presume this is the same behaviour as you report, Peter. I'm attaching the crash.dmp from 32 bit image. I believe that the crash happens when calling COMDispatchInstance>>propertyNamed: with the lengthy string to be returned.

Pablo, I hope you have some time to check this, my knowledge ends somewhere here ... :-|

Thanks and best wishes,
Tomaz

crash.dmp.zip (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Hi Tomaz

Yes, that is exactly the problem I had, and the limit of 260K characters is consistent with my tests. I can get round it by saving the HTML to disk using the MailItem.SaveAs method, and then reading the file back from disk. I would try doing that with a memory disk, but I suspect the SaveAs method will not like writing to it. An alternative would be to use the MailItem.Body property, which only has the text of the message and so is much shorter. I would really need my own parser to read such a file, and I can’t load PetitParser or PetitParser2 into Pharo 8.

Presumably Pharo-Com should handle a long string more gracefully than just crashing the VM. But if these limits are intrinsic to COM in Windows, rather than Pharo-Com, there may be no way round it so it’s back to SaveAs.

Thanks for confirming that it’s not down to an error of mine.

Peter Kenny

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

eftomi
Thanks, Stephane, for the acknowledgement. Peter, as I understand, the limits in COM BSTR data type are defined by the header's length prefix (which is 4 bytes) and software implementatios - for instance, string data type in Visual Basic for Applications is described as "a variable-length string can contain up to approximately 2 billion (2^31) characters", which is in line with the BSTR header. I'm not sure if the OS architecture (32 and 64 bit) influences these values.

Best wishes,
Tomaz

Re: Automation of MS Office from Pharo

Peter Kenny

Tomaz, that was my understanding from the VBA piece you cited yesterday. So presumably it must be something in Pharo-Com which imposes the limits we have seen. I am OK at the moment, because all this work is just an exploration of possibilities; I can wait until you and Pablo have sorted it out. But from the results of your tests, a maximum of 16K in 64-bit systems must be a serious limitation, so something in Pharo-Com needs fixing.

For my immediate work, I shall continue exporting the full text using MailItem.SaveAs; my further processing uses files I have exported manually in this way, so it’s not a problem.

Thanks

Peter Kenny