Autosave the image

Alex Schenkman
Hi list,

Is there a setting for autosaving the image every few minutes?
Is this a bad idea?

How do I save the image programmatically?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Autosave the image

drush66
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Alex Schenkman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi list,
> Is there a setting for autosaving the image every few minutes?
> Is this a bad idea?
> How do I save the image programmatically?
> Thanks in advance!

I would think it is a bad idea. Because:

- you could easily end up with inconsistent, and therefore unusable
autosaved image
- saving manually is not such a big chore
- saving monticello packages adds protection as well, and it also
offers versioning
- even if everything else fails, you still have your .changes file

BTW, I think that rebuilding your work image from the blank one using
your packages periodically is a good habit.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Autosave the image

fstephany
> BTW, I think that rebuilding your work image from the blank one using
> your packages periodically is a good habit.

Everyday is probably the best ;)

Re: Autosave the image

Janko Mivšek
Well, autosaving image is not so scary thing and it is possible without
troubles. And it is a must for any image-based persistency solution.
Current Aida one-click has for instance an hourly snapshot enabled by
default. Also I have all my images snapshoted automatically every hour,
being production or development. Both VW and gradually Pharo ones too.
Not to mention that image running Squeak website snapshots every hour
for years too.

You snapshot Squeak/Pharo image by:

        SmalltalkImage current saveSession

In any case, we need to recheck and cleanup that snapshot procedure to
be safe and viable solution for persistency, if there are really some
problems yet there to popup. If visualWorks can spapshot cleanly, why
Pharo cannot?

Best regards
Janko

--