BabyIDE now works in Squeak 4.5

Trygve
Hi all,

DCI is a programming paradigm with strong separation of concerns
*    Classes are used for coding system state - what the system *is*.
*    DCI Contexts are used for coding system behavior - what the system *does*.
The DCI separation of concerns enhances code readability, supports testing, and simplifies system extension.
BabyIDE is an IDE that supports the DCI separation of concerns by viewing the code in practically independent projections.

BabyIDE with a number of examples is now ready for downloading into a Squeak 4.5 image:
1.     WorldMenu > open... > SqueakMap Categories.
2.     Select "Development tools" > BBAllInOne > (1.4)
3.     Click "Install"
Example programs can be run from
        WorldMenu > open... > BB5bBank etc.
The sources for an example can be edited in BabyIDE, e.g.:
        WorldMenu > open... > BB1: IDE>BB5bBank

BabyIDE with its DCI infrastructure is a non-intrusive addition to Squeak; everything works as before and programming can be done in the usual manner (if desired).

DCI home page: http://fulloo.info/.
Description of the examples: http://fulloo.info/Examples/SqueakExamples
DCI mailing list: [hidden email]

Enjoy
--Trygve

--

Trygve Reenskaug      [hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver/

Re: BabyIDE now works in Squeak 4.5

Trygve
You  are right. BBAllInOne was an unsuccessful experiment. It is now deleted.
The working installer is BabyIdeAllInOne version 1.4

Thanks
--Trygve

On 14.01.2015 22:09, Mircea S. wrote:
Mine crashes when installing BBAllInOne > 1.4 with "No package release found with version TRee.1 8" Maybe there's a typo in the script?

BabyIdeAllInOne works just like Quang.

Pe 14 ian. 2015, la 16:49, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> a scris:

Hi all,

DCI home page with documentation etc.: http://fulloo.info/.
DCI mailing list: [hidden email]

Enjoy
--Trygve

Re: BabyIDE now works in Squeak 4.5

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 03:54:07PM +0100, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> DCI is a programming paradigm with strong separation of concerns
> *    Classes are used for coding system state - what the system *is*.
> *    DCI Contexts are used for coding system behavior - what the system
> *does*.
> The DCI separation of concerns enhances code readability, supports
> testing, and simplifies system extension.
> BabyIDE is an IDE that supports the DCI separation of concerns by
> viewing the code in practically independent projections.
>
> BabyIDE with a number of examples is now ready for downloading into a
> Squeak 4.5 image:
> 1.     WorldMenu > open... > SqueakMap Categories.
> 2.     Select "Development tools" > BBAllInOne > (1.4)
> 3.     Click "Install"
> Example programs can be run from
>         WorldMenu > open... > BB5bBank etc.
> The sources for an example can be edited in BabyIDE, e.g.:
>         WorldMenu > open... > BB1: IDE>BB5bBank
>
> BabyIDE with its DCI infrastructure is a non-intrusive addition to
> Squeak; everything works as before and programming can be done in the
> usual manner (if desired).
>
> DCI home page: http://fulloo.info/.
> Description of the examples: http://fulloo.info/Examples/SqueakExamples
> DCI mailing list: [hidden email]
>
> Enjoy
> --Trygve

I just installed BabyIdeAllInOne in my working trunk image. I have only
just started to look at it, but I have to say right away that the browser
is really interesting. It has a context view that provides an conventional
browser view, and you can switch to an interaction view that shows a graphical
interaction diagram. The objects in the diagram are live, and selecting one
displays its methods and their implementation.

Dave

Re: BabyIDE now works in Squeak 4.5

Trygve
Hi Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to look at BabyIDE. You spotted its most novel part, the graphical
interaction diagram. Alan coined the term object orientation: "Thus its semantics are a bit like having thousands and thousands of computers all hooked together by a very fast network.". The interaction diagram shows such a network where objects have been mustered to play their roles in the performance of a task or use case. The behavior of the objects is coded in methods attached to the roles.

General questions and ideas about DCI can best be placed on
        [hidden email]
which represents several years of DCI knowledge and experience with implementations in languages such as C++, C#, Marvin, Ruby, Scala, Erlang, Javascript, Haxe, PHP, and Python. Smalltalk is not in this list. This is surprising since Smalltalk has the most sophisticated IDE for DCI and is its natural home.

--Trygve

On 18.01.2015 17:24, David T. Lewis wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 03:54:07PM +0100, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
Hi all,

DCI is a programming paradigm with strong separation of concerns
*    Classes are used for coding system state - what the system *is*.
*    DCI Contexts are used for coding system behavior - what the system
*does*.
The DCI separation of concerns enhances code readability, supports
testing, and simplifies system extension.
BabyIDE is an IDE that supports the DCI separation of concerns by
viewing the code in practically independent projections.
++++
I just installed BabyIdeAllInOne in my working trunk image. I have only
just started to look at it, but I have to say right away that the browser
is really interesting. It has a context view that provides an conventional
browser view, and you can switch to an interaction view that shows a graphical
interaction diagram. The objects in the diagram are live, and selecting one
displays its methods and their implementation.

Dave

--

The essence of object orientation is that
objects collaborate  to achieve a goal.