Backporting function in MC

Alexandre Bergel-4
Dear All,

Are there any of you who already used the backporting function of
Monticello? It has been there for several years already. Enough time
to prove its usefulness.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Backporting function in MC

Igor Stasenko
2009/4/23 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:
> Dear All,
>
> Are there any of you who already used the backporting function of
> Monticello? It has been there for several years already. Enough time
> to prove its usefulness.

Never used it, because of fear doing something awful :)

> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Backporting function in MC

Alexandre Bergel
> Never used it, because of fear doing something awful :)

Indeed!

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Backporting function in MC

Damien Cassou

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082094.html

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

2009/4/24 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Are there any of you who already used the backporting function of
>> Monticello? It has been there for several years already. Enough time
>> to prove its usefulness.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082094.html

So, its mainly to save a time? One could load an older package first,
and then merge it with other "current" package by choosing which parts
to merge. And result will be same.
I am right?

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Backporting function in MC

Nicolas Cellier
Thank you for this useful link. So the procedure described by Avi is

"At various points there have been requests that when merging versions,
you be able to select only some of the changes to merge.  You can use
the Backport facility to do this as follows:

- load the version you want to merge some of the changes from
- backport those changes to the common ancestor with the version you
want to merge into
- save this backported version
- load your version, and merge in the backport

Eventually, it would of course be nice to have a more automated UI for
doing that..."

This is a feature I asked very recently:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.sapphire.devel/7440/match=merge

So I feel free to give my feeling:
1) The whole procedure seems overkill to me versus implementing same
functionality in merge tool
2) There are cases when I do not want to load the other version
because I know it would break my image
3) in some cases the common ancestor is far away or out of reach
(imagine I want to compare two squeak forks)

Nicolas

2009/4/24 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Are there any of you who already used the backporting function of
>> Monticello? It has been there for several years already. Enough time
>> to prove its usefulness.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082094.html
>

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Backporting function in MC

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Nicolas and others,

I am glad you found this description useful. I am authoring a chapter
on Monticello for PharoByExample, and there is a section dedicated on
this functionality. However, I haven't been convinced this is a
feature really useful since I know no-one who used it.

If you used it, just even once, please let me know.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 24 Apr 2009, at 13:57, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Thank you for this useful link. So the procedure described by Avi is
>
> "At various points there have been requests that when merging
> versions,
> you be able to select only some of the changes to merge.  You can use
> the Backport facility to do this as follows:
>
> - load the version you want to merge some of the changes from
> - backport those changes to the common ancestor with the version you
> want to merge into
> - save this backported version
> - load your version, and merge in the backport
>
> Eventually, it would of course be nice to have a more automated UI for
> doing that..."
>
> This is a feature I asked very recently:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.sapphire.devel/7440/match=merge
>
> So I feel free to give my feeling:
> 1) The whole procedure seems overkill to me versus implementing same
> functionality in merge tool
> 2) There are cases when I do not want to load the other version
> because I know it would break my image
> 3) in some cases the common ancestor is far away or out of reach
> (imagine I want to compare two squeak forks)
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2009/4/24 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Alexandre Bergel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Are there any of you who already used the backporting function of
>>> Monticello? It has been there for several years already. Enough time
>>> to prove its usefulness.
>>
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-September/082094.html
>>

>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Backporting function in MC

Lukas Renggli
> I am glad you found this description useful. I am authoring a chapter
> on Monticello for PharoByExample, and there is a section dedicated on
> this functionality. However, I haven't been convinced this is a
> feature really useful since I know no-one who used it.

Avi wrote that feature at ESUG in the car somewhere between Hannover
and Köethen. We were discussing the implementation several times
during that 8 hour drive. I used it a couple of times.

What I find easier (because I don't have to load the other version) is
to open a merge dialog with the other version and selectively pick
some changes and click on 'Install' in the context menu. Then
close/cancel the merge dialog and click on 'Adapt' and select the just
merged version. I don't exactly know about the semantic differences
between the two approaches, could well be that my approach ends up
with a nightmare later on but so far it worked well for me.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Backporting function in MC

Alexandre Bergel
Thanks Lukas,

Alexandre

On 24 Apr 2009, at 14:38, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I am glad you found this description useful. I am authoring a chapter
>> on Monticello for PharoByExample, and there is a section dedicated on
>> this functionality. However, I haven't been convinced this is a
>> feature really useful since I know no-one who used it.
>
> Avi wrote that feature at ESUG in the car somewhere between Hannover
> and Köethen. We were discussing the implementation several times
> during that 8 hour drive. I used it a couple of times.
>
> What I find easier (because I don't have to load the other version) is
> to open a merge dialog with the other version and selectively pick
> some changes and click on 'Install' in the context menu. Then
> close/cancel the merge dialog and click on 'Adapt' and select the just
> merged version. I don't exactly know about the semantic differences
> between the two approaches, could well be that my approach ends up
> with a nightmare later on but so far it worked well for me.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Backporting function in MC

Oscar Nierstrasz

I think I would have never used it because I didn't understand what it
was for.

Working out an example with the chapter you wrote helped me to
understand it better.  Now I am more likely to use it in future.

- on